cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there any difference between software upgrade and software update ?

Hi Experts , 

Is there any difference between software upgrade and software update ? or both are same ?

We have IOS-XE version 17.3.3 and due to some vulnerability reported by Cisco , We have to update to FIRST FIXED OR NOT AFFECTED = 17.3.5 ..what are we suppose to do here ? 

Should we upgrade the IOS_XE to 17.3.5 ..Also can someone share the correct path to download 17.3.5 version for Cisco 9300 (C9300-48UXM)

Thank you in advance .

5 Replies 5

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286315874/type/282046477/release/Amsterdam-17.3.5 

About your question:

"

The main difference between update and upgrade is that update is to make and keep something up to date or a better version of the older one, often to solve glitches or problems, whereas upgrade is to raise something to a higher standard by adding or replacing few components.

"

If you change from  17.3.3 to 17.3.5 this is an update. But when cisco realease the 18.0.0 and you move to that, then it will be an upgrade.

thanks @Flavio Miranda ,

So the procedure to upgrade IOS-XE version or update IOS-XE version is same ? or we have any difference ? 

Is exactly the same. 

I think there is a fine point of semantics here. Many people use the terms interchangeably and in many situations that is ok. I agree with @Flavio Miranda that there can be a difference and sometimes that difference could be important. If you were changing from one version to a later version of the software in the same train/feature set that clearly is an update. If you were going to change feature set or license level that would be an upgrade. Sometime the install process is the same for update or upgrade. But it could be different. I recently worked with someone who had a switch that had installed the software using a bin file, which means the switch is managed using CLI. They were interested in having GUI capability. So they installed software using a tar file. From CLI to GUI is clearly an upgrade and the install process was significantly different.

HTH

Rick

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Go straight to 17.3.5.  I think there is another impending PSIRT announcement and the fix is in 17.3.5.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco