cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE

courtenee1
Level 1
Level 1

I run a network of over 1000 network devices, so you can imagine how many printers are on the network. We use ISE for authentication. Users plug printers in and assign a static IP address, however when the users swap out printers they use the same IP address and end up getting a duplicate IP address. Is there a way to control this issue? Because the MAC address is configured to support certain devices so anyone can plug in and authenticate to the network, but we need a way to control users plugging in printers. 

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

this is my views on this issue - I am sure you running 802.1X with MAB for the printers, printers have their own VLAN i guess here, based on the profile port will be allocated respected VLAN - IP will be allocated same way.

You need to fix the process :

1. Make sure owner should update MAC list or DHCP static reservation based on MAC with IP - with this you can minimise duplicate address.

2. if you see unknown device on the port - which is not in the authentication or MAC list, that port should disabled or  go to default VLAN which dont have any acces to resource.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Ok thank you much! We sent out a mass email reminding everyone to put in a ticket if anything will be removed/replaced. 

yes or may be use some API, if the owner looking to update to offload the load.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card