Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR4331 Subinterface with VLANs at the same time

Jens1902
Level 1
Level 1

Hello from Germany,

I am trying to connect an Aruba L2 Switch to an ISR4331 that has a "NIM-ES2-4" Card inserted.

The switching card has no free ports left so I had to connect the Aruba switch to an integrated port that is not capable of being a switchport, therefore I had to use subinterfaces. If I put the gateway IP on the subinterface everything works fine, but there are other switches connected as trunks to the switched interfaces that can't reach the default gateway now, since I moved the IP from the Vlan interface to the subinterface that is connected to the Aruba switch. The subinterface have the encapsulation dot1q [vlan-id] command on it, but there seems to be no connection between the subinterface and the vlan interface (that should have the gateway IP) or am I missing something out with Subinterfaces in combination with Vlan interfaces?

Thanks in advance,

Jens

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jens,

I don't think you can have switch vlan as well as Sub-interface at the same time for the same subnet/vlan. One solution maybe is to connect the other Aruba switch to the one that is connected to the router. This way, you keep everything on the same subnet/vlan.  The other option would be (this is if you still have integrated ports available on the router) to connect the second Aruba switch to a different port on the router, but that means you have to put that connection in a different subnet/vlan.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jens,

I don't think you can have switch vlan as well as Sub-interface at the same time for the same subnet/vlan. One solution maybe is to connect the other Aruba switch to the one that is connected to the router. This way, you keep everything on the same subnet/vlan.  The other option would be (this is if you still have integrated ports available on the router) to connect the second Aruba switch to a different port on the router, but that means you have to put that connection in a different subnet/vlan.

HTH

Hi Jens, 

verify if you're using DTP and try to configure de switchport in mode Trunk, not dynamic auto to check compatibily in the interface, i think is not necessary subif, but if you really need use it. 

hope solve the problem friend.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: