cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

issue addressing multiple flash's on a 3750 stack....

chaminda_t
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Have a stack of 5x 3750’s connected via stack masters cables, running IOS version: c3750-i9-mz.121-19.EA1c.bin. I would like to upgrade the IOS version to: c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE1.bin. The issue is that I’m not able to address the each flash individually to copy nes IOS over.

Present switch config is as follows:

Stack of 5 x 3750’s

Switch         Ports          Model                          SW Version                                       SW Image           

------              -----                -----                                  ----------                                        ----------         

*    1           52                WS-C3750-48P          12.1(19)EA1c                                    C3750-I9-M         

2              52              WS-C3750-48P          12.1(19)EA1c                                    C3750-I9-M         

3            52                WS-C3750-48P          12.1(19)EA1c                                    C3750-I9-M         

4             52                WS-C3750-48P          12.1(19)EA1c                                    C3750-I9-M         

5            52                WS-C3750-48P          12.1(19)EA1c                                    C3750-I9-M

Normally, you could view and update each individual flash on each switch by referring:

Sh flash1:

Sh flash2:

Sh flash3:

Sh flash4:

Sh flash5:

And

copy tftp flash1:

copy tftp flash2:

copy tftp flash3:                                                         etc......

However, in this version of IOS, the stack only responds to flash: & flash1: both referring to the master switch. Thus leaving the only option of updating the master switch. When you do this, the stack comes up, minus the switch which has just been updated. Not good.

I think this IOS version is old and does not let you view multiple flashes. Are there any thoughts on how best to tackle this? Please advice

Regards,

Chaminda.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you use the .tar file and the archive command this will upgrade all the switches in the stack automatically and you would not have to worry about putting the image on each switch.  Be patient when using this method it takes a little while.  If you use the .bin file then you will have to download that file to each switch and put a boot statement in pointing to it .  The boot statement is automatically taken care of when using the  .tar file and the archive command .    If you do a dir flash:3   nothing shows up in the directory ? You could be right about it being old .  That is a really old version of code.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml#maintask1

View solution in original post

mopauly
Level 1
Level 1

It would be time consuming but you can try to use hyperterm and xmodem to manually copy the new IOS to each switch from a laptop, providing you can access the switches flash via console; my only other thought would be to break the stacking and manually upgrade each switch, but I would further investigate the limitations of that IOS as either way is going to be tedious.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you use the .tar file and the archive command this will upgrade all the switches in the stack automatically and you would not have to worry about putting the image on each switch.  Be patient when using this method it takes a little while.  If you use the .bin file then you will have to download that file to each switch and put a boot statement in pointing to it .  The boot statement is automatically taken care of when using the  .tar file and the archive command .    If you do a dir flash:3   nothing shows up in the directory ? You could be right about it being old .  That is a really old version of code.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml#maintask1

Glen, Paul,

Many thanks for the solutions given.

Paul: I was planning to upgrade the IOS with each switch in isolation as the last resort (by breaking up the stack). I know this works as I had a dry run of this.

Glen: I am going to try the ‘tar’ method as you've suggested. I will give this a go first and I'm pretty sure it should work. Not sure when I would get down time again – but I will update the result asap.

Many thanks Gents...

mopauly
Level 1
Level 1

It would be time consuming but you can try to use hyperterm and xmodem to manually copy the new IOS to each switch from a laptop, providing you can access the switches flash via console; my only other thought would be to break the stacking and manually upgrade each switch, but I would further investigate the limitations of that IOS as either way is going to be tedious.

Glen, Paul,

Many thanks for the solutions given.

Paul: I was planning to upgrade the IOS with each switch in isolation as the last resort (by breaking up the stack). I know this works as I had a dry run of this.

Glen: I am going to try the ‘tar’ method as you've suggested. I will give this a go first and I'm pretty sure it should work. Not sure when I would get down time again – but I will update the result asap.

Many thanks Gents...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card