Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

issue in 4 nexus 5548 solution at core layer between primary and DR Site design

we have 4 nexus 5548 switches and according to our plan we use 2 x 5k switches in primary  site and  2 x 5k in DR site,  we are using MPLS VPLS layer 2 link between bothsides. we have 2 v block server farm so we need redundent uplink with vpc on both sides,

can we configure VPC peer link between all 4 switches and configure in single domain ?

can we run HSRP (gateway) between all 4 switches ?

i read the document all of them representing solution with 2 switches i couldn't find this type of solution, second i read it we can create single vpc peer link between only two swiches in that case we will have to create only trunk between primary and DR site  and keep primary and secondary in separat domains. so please let me know HSRP will work between two different domain in nexus

or if you any better idea how we have to design this please let me know:

Primary Site                                                                                            DR Site

[N5kSW2] <=Vpc peer link=>[N5KSW1]----------------- L2 VPLS------------------[N5kDSW1] <=Vpc peer link=>[N5KDRSW2]

Vpc peer link

[V-Block]                                                                                                 [V-Block]

servers                                                                                                     servers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

You normally leave the Primary DataCenter at one vPC domain and the DR in another one. HSRP will work fine for  nexus switches connected in a single vPC domain.

For example, your V-Block are dual homed to both nexus Switches at the Primary Site, both Nexus can be configured to provide First Hop redundancy HSRP gateway for the Servers, and both links will be forwarding since the servers are dual homed to a vPC as well on the nexus.

Then, you will have your L2VPLS between both DataCenters which provides the redundancy you require and connectivity between both Sites.

Note:

I am not quitely sure if the same vPC domain can be configured on more than 2 nexus switches, but the above example is a typical scenario that you can use, as I dont see any additional advantage you can gain connecting the 4 Switches in one Single vPC domain.

Regards,

Mohamed

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

You normally leave the Primary DataCenter at one vPC domain and the DR in another one. HSRP will work fine for  nexus switches connected in a single vPC domain.

For example, your V-Block are dual homed to both nexus Switches at the Primary Site, both Nexus can be configured to provide First Hop redundancy HSRP gateway for the Servers, and both links will be forwarding since the servers are dual homed to a vPC as well on the nexus.

Then, you will have your L2VPLS between both DataCenters which provides the redundancy you require and connectivity between both Sites.

Note:

I am not quitely sure if the same vPC domain can be configured on more than 2 nexus switches, but the above example is a typical scenario that you can use, as I dont see any additional advantage you can gain connecting the 4 Switches in one Single vPC domain.

Regards,

Mohamed

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card