Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with Local Username/Password on Nexus device

kannan.kannan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

We want create Local Uasername/password on Nexus 7K & 5K , I am using password 7 but is not taking password 7.

Only password 0 or password 5.

How to encyrpt my original password to level 5 ( I know level 7 only)?

Please send me the link for password level 5 encrypt & decrypt.

Thanks...

regards,

Kannan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

When you create the username you don't need to specify that it's a level 5 password. You can simply enter username user password password and the password will be protected.

If you look at the following I'm adding a username fred with a password of fred, but when viewed in the configuration you can see it's not stored as plain text, but with level 5 protection.

ocs5548-1# conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

ocs5548-1(config)# sh run | in ^username

username admin password 5 $1$JhlAJ3YT$1XIssO4c36UAxeKYNO7Lj1  role network-admin

ocs5548-1(config)# username fred password fred

username admin password 5 $1$JhlAJ3YT$1XIssO4c36UAxeKYNO7Lj1  role network-admin

username fred password 5 $1$7o7ikOvm$Qy63KoVm5WgrOAbi5M/PS0  role network-operator

In so far as recovering those passwords, level 5 passwords are protected by MD5 and so cannot be simply recovered in the same way as the level 7 password you see in IOS.

Regards

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

When you create the username you don't need to specify that it's a level 5 password. You can simply enter username user password password and the password will be protected.

If you look at the following I'm adding a username fred with a password of fred, but when viewed in the configuration you can see it's not stored as plain text, but with level 5 protection.

ocs5548-1# conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

ocs5548-1(config)# username fred password fred

username fred password 5 $1$7o7ikOvm$Qy63KoVm5WgrOAbi5M/PS0  role network-operator

In so far as recovering those passwords, level 5 passwords are protected by MD5 and so cannot be simply recovered in the same way as the level 7 password you see in IOS.

Regards

Thanks steve.

I will try........

Regards,

Kannan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card