Views
Helpful
Replies

Key chain in EIGRP Named mode with HMAC-SHA

Muhammad Rafi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

is it ok to use key chain with eigrp named mode hmac or hmac-sha itself is strong enough to prevent replay attacks without key chain? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, this is correct. You do not need the extra key chain. Just use HMAC under eigrp named mode >> under interface >> enable hmac with key.

e.g.

Router-A(config)# router eigrp CISCO
Router-A(config-router)# address-family ipv4 autonomous-system 1
Router-A(config-router-af)# af-interface ethernet 0/0
Router-A(config-router-af-interface)# authentication mode hmac-sha-256 password
Router-A(config-router-af-interface)# end

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_eigrp/configuration/15-sy/ire-15-sy-book/ire-sha-256.html

hth.

Bilal

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, this is correct. You do not need the extra key chain. Just use HMAC under eigrp named mode >> under interface >> enable hmac with key.

e.g.

Router-A(config)# router eigrp CISCO
Router-A(config-router)# address-family ipv4 autonomous-system 1
Router-A(config-router-af)# af-interface ethernet 0/0
Router-A(config-router-af-interface)# authentication mode hmac-sha-256 password
Router-A(config-router-af-interface)# end

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_eigrp/configuration/15-sy/ire-15-sy-book/ire-sha-256.html

hth.

Bilal

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Thanks Bilal, why did you use 0 ? doesn't that mean disable encryption ? what I want to encrypt my password as well rather than in clear text 

I specified 0 because i am entering the password as I know it, that does not disable the authentication, maybe encryption. If i was to enter 7 then i think the passwords are encrypted.

hth

Bilal

Router-A(config-router-af-interface)#authentication mode hmac-sha-256 ?
  <0-7>  Encryption type (0 to disable encryption, 7 for proprietary)
  LINE   password

can you explain this please ?

Sorry Bilal, we have had confusion here, I asked about the encryption and you  mentioned authentication and I thought you said encryption lol, but its all clear now. 

Beside, is it good practice to use authentication on loopback interfaces ? 

Hello Muhammad, I have not seen this being implemented on loopback interfaces, more often we are trying to protect the adjacency, not a loopback that we are trying to advertise out. Unless our control plane got compromised somehow, then we have more worries than just the loopback :) So summary is no, it is not really necessary on loopback.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card