Views
Helpful
Replies

L2 and L3 at the same time

Anna_Katona
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

Can I use Cisco 3750 like a switch (L2) and a router (L3) at the same time?

I can't buy another device that could be a router...

Thanks for your answer!

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Exactly what are you trying to accomplish?

In my network there are some vlans. I have only a switch 3750 and I don't want buy a router. Can I set up switching and routing on my Cisco as if I have a switch and a router separately?

For example gi 1/0/1 - is the interface to Internet, fa 1/0/1 - 1/0/48 - is for connecting of PC and Phones.

I have only a switch 3750 and I don't want buy a router. Can I set up switching and routing on my Cisco as if I have a switch and a router separately?

You need to verify what you are trying to do.  Layer 3 switches do NOT support NAT.  That's one of the features that separates routers from switches.  

Depends on your switch and depends on the license.  Some Cat 3K licenses (IP Base) can be upgraded to do routing.  In some cases, depending on the IOS you've loaded, IP Base will support some simple routing protocols such as RIP.

How To Configure InterVLAN Routing on Layer 3 Switches

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Leo has already described, L3 switches, like the 3750 series, can "route".  (NB: it's this capability that distinguishes L2 vs. L3 switches.)

As Leo also has described, L3 switches often don't have as many features as "routers" and the later 3750 series, the -E and -X models, features are controlled by the installed license.  The original series of 3750 features are controlled by the loaded/active IOS image (which requires different "paper" licenses).

Lastly, as Leo has also noted, the lower licensed 3750s might support a basic routing protocol, like RIP, but same also usually support static and local interface routing.  I.e. you may not need a routing protocol at all.

qasim khan
Level 1
Level 1

yes you can!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card