Views
Helpful
Replies

L2 Between DCs

Yavne14715
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

I'm looking for a way to connect two data centers with layer 2 (about 50 VLANs).
I have VPN tunnel between two locations. I have Cisco 6509 in both locations, if it makes sense maybe I can use it for L2 tunneling.
Wondering what method the most reliable to send L2 traffic between two locations.

I see there are a few options to extend L2:
VXLAN
GRE Tunnel
L2 Tunneling

If you have such experience, could you please share it? What will be the proffered way?
Unfortunately I don't way to test it, except the production environment

Thanks!

12 Replies 12

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Are you trying to connect the 2 datacenters together over the Internet?

HTH

Sorry I've missed it, yes over the Internet

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

adding another post it is must know-how are you establishing the connection between DC, Internet? MPLS? VPLS?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

The original post tells us that they want to connect 2 DC at layer 2. In that case GRE is not an option. I would think that L2TPv3 is an option to consider.

HTH

Rick

GRE is definitely an option, but it will require buying additional gear.

I have 6509 in each location, trying to see if I can configure L2TPv3 on each 6509 (and send multiple VLANs across this L2).

Any chance any of you have experience with L2TPv3 on 6509?

The original poster insists that GRE is an option to connect 2 data centers with layer 2 over the Internet. Bearing in mind that GRE uses a routed source address and a routed destination address and usually a routed IP address on the tunnel interface it is the essence of a layer 3 connection. To make it a layer 2 connection you would need to remove the IP address on the tunnel interface. But with no IP address on the interface how do you get IP traffic to go through the tunnel? The only option I can think of that would do this would be to configure layer 2 bridging on the tunnel interface. The commands for bridging are accepted on the tunnel interface. And some people have reported that they have done this and have gotten traffic to go over the tunnel. But Cisco is very clear that this is not a supported implementation. If you do implement bridging over the GRE tunnel and something does not work right Cisco has no obligation to help you fix it. I do not think this is a very viable option for 2 data centers.

HTH

Rick

Yes, over the Internet

Depending on the Sup module and the IOS version on the 6500, L2VPN may be an option.

Have a look at this link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/mp_l2_vpns/configuration/15-s/mp-l2-vpns-15-s-book/mp-l2vpn-intrntwkg.html#GUID-F9AFD11C-7ABA-4DF4-B772-9C2655385CA8

HTH

Thanks you, I will take take a look.

The solution to this issue largely depends on the hardware and specifically on the sup you have in the 6500s.

If you have Sup2t and an MPLS provider, you could also use VPLS.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/catalyst-6500-series-supervisor-engine-2t/data_sheet_c78-648214.html

HTH

Tagir Temirgaliyev
Spotlight
Spotlight

try nsx

I really wanted to implement NSX, till I got the quote...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: