Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 Etherchannel Problem

B@B@r
Level 1
Level 1

Hi every one.

i am working on l3 ether-channels  my topology is as under...

etherchannel.png

as mentioned in above pictures...

when is run command show etherchannel summary

all the 3 switches show me RU ( R l3 and u In use) they are now showing me down then why there is no connectivity between sw0 and sw 1i, no error in their show etherchannel summary commmand

thankyou...

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Predrag Jovic
Level 3
Level 3

You can't create Etherchannel of 6 interfaces and use 3 as connection to one switch and other 3 to different switch (if switches are not configured in stack, VSS or vPC). There should be separate etherchannels for connection to each switch.

View solution in original post

B@B@r
Level 1
Level 1
so its mean we have to configure 2 port channel for each switch?
sw0 (pol 1, pol2) sw2 (pol 2 , pol 3) sw3 (pol 1 , pol3)

and for pinging we should enable routing protocol?

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Predrag Jovic
Level 3
Level 3

You can't create Etherchannel of 6 interfaces and use 3 as connection to one switch and other 3 to different switch (if switches are not configured in stack, VSS or vPC). There should be separate etherchannels for connection to each switch.

B@B@r
Level 1
Level 1
so its mean we have to configure 2 port channel for each switch?
sw0 (pol 1, pol2) sw2 (pol 2 , pol 3) sw3 (pol 1 , pol3)

and for pinging we should enable routing protocol?

Yes. You need 2 etherchannels per switch. Have in mind that if you create L2 etherchannels one of etherchannels will be blocked by STP.

Need for routing depends on design. Since you configured L3 etherchannels at least static routing is needed. If L2 eherchannels are configured there might be no need for routing except L3 device.

Thankyou.
ok one more question, In L2 etherchannel we use no switchport its mean its l3 port , there is no concept of vlan in l3 port,
then why these ports are assigend to vlan 1006 to onward.
command:
show vlan internal usage

i mean L3 it was mistype

Yes, no switchport is needed to make L3 etherchannel.

The reason why it is reserving VLANs is by design. Switches may have ascending or descending reservation depending on model. Simplified, switch is acting like interface is assigned to the VLAN (e.g 1006) and then applies the rest of the configuration to port (configuring port as access port, removes spanning tree, vtp, disable MAC learning). Reserved VLANs can be seen on swithches with show vlan internal usage command.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card