cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 Router connected to Pair of 5500 Series, traffic hitting secondary one instead of primary

snahosany
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an issue where traffic going to a pair of nexus (5548UP) is hitting the secondary one instead of the primary one. I have one router dual homed to both nexus via routed ports (runs ospf). Both is connected to a 4500 series switch in vpc. This setup works fine. From a pc behind the 4500 switch, when i ping the router interface connected to Nexus-1, it goes through primary nexus which is Nexus-1. I have dual-homed another router to both nexus with same setup as mentioned above., but now when i ping the router interface connected to Nexus-1 from the PC behind the 4500 series switch, the traffic goes to the secondary nexus. Is this something normal? I want the traffic to hit Nexus-1 since the router interface i am pinging is connected to Nexus 1

Any advice, anything i am doing wrong?

Thanks

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Since the 5ks are running layer-3 with the routers, can you enable "peer-gateway" command on both Nexus and than test again?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/mkt_ops_guides/513_n1_1/n5k_L3_w_vpc_5500platform.html

Figure-5-3

HTH

Hello Reza

thanks. I have done so, but still it does not work, it is still going to the secondary nexus. Any ideas?

In the Document you sent me, my topology looks like figure 5-7. The Router is not VPc'd to the nexus. 

Hi,

So, do you have a layer-3 connection between the 5ks as shown in figure 5-7?

yes. exactly as in figure 5-7

So, when you do a trace route from the PC sitting behind the 4500 (layer-2) does it go 5k-2 first and than across the layer-3 link and than 5k-1?

is there HSRP between the 5ks

when i trace route it goes to 5k-2 and then directly to the router across the Layer 3 link. Yes HSRP between 5k, active on all vlans being the primary nexus.

I think the case when VPC is configured on the Nexus.  Even though 5k-2 is backup HSRP, it will still froward traffic upstream and will not send it to HSRP active for forwarding.

HTH

so you mean the behavior is normal, traffic destined for router interface connected to nexus-1 should be hitting nexus-2? i have same setup for another router and it goes through nexus-1

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card