Helpful
Replies

L3 switch models

Sharath Karpur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, 

I am looking for some Cisco switch model suggestion for my core switch model

We are building a site with 12 access switches using 10 Gig uplink and also have few servers that are not supported to 10 Gig as of now, Could you please suggest some cisco switch models that has capabality of 10 Gig ports and 1 Gig ?

any thing available in 3800 series....?  if part numbers are shared it will be really helpful. 

Regards

Sharath 

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Are you connecting the access switches to 2 core switches?

Are the uplinks fiber or copper?

What type of fiber do you have in place?

HTH

Hello Reza, 

Yes I am connecting access switches to core with multimode fibre uplinks ( 10 Gig ).

Regards

Sharath Karpur

Hi,

If you are looking for a device that can accommodate both 1Gig copper and 10Gig fiber, you most likely have to use a chassis type switch like 4500, 9400, 6800 series as the small 1RU switches usually come with copper or fiber. The other option would be to use a separate switch (3560 or 9300) for your servers and uplink them to the core just like your other access switches. In this case, you can use the 9300 series or 3650 series for access switches as well as server connectivity and use the 9500 for the core.  

Here are the data sheets:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/data_sheet-c78-738977.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9500-series-switches/data_sheet-c78-738978.html

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the switch model, but can have 1 Gig RJ 45 module as well in the same switch ? for my server connectivity ..

For a core device, you might also consider the 6840 series.

For copper gig, you might be able to use copper SFPs.

The Cisco Catalyst 4948 10 Gigabit Ethernet (10GE) Switch is a wire-speed, low-latency, Layer '2 to 4', 1-rack-unit (1 RU) fixed-configuration switch for rack-optimized server switching. Based on the proven Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series hardware and software architecture, the Cisco Catalyst 4948 10GE offers exceptional performance, bandwidth, and reliability for low-density, multilayer aggregation of high-performance servers and workstations.

Industry-leading wire-speed performance of 48 Gbps, and 71 million packets per second
Low latency with Layer 2-4 switching
Innovative security and QoS features
Gigabit Ethernet or 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks

sbhadrav@cisco.com wrote:

The Cisco Catalyst 4948 10 Gigabit Ethernet (10GE) Switch is a wire-speed, low-latency, Layer '2 to 4', 1-rack-unit (1 RU) fixed-configuration switch for rack-optimized server switching. Based on the proven Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series hardware and software architecture, the Cisco Catalyst 4948 10GE offers exceptional performance, bandwidth, and reliability for low-density, multilayer aggregation of high-performance servers and workstations.

Industry-leading wire-speed performance of 48 Gbps, and 71 million packets per second
Low latency with Layer 2-4 switching
Innovative security and QoS features
Gigabit Ethernet or 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks

For someone who works for Cisco (and probably knows the products inside out), this is a very irresponsible comment.   Cisco has announced the EoS/EoL of the 4948-10Gb last 29 February 2012 (End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Catalyst 4948-10GE, Cisco Catalyst 4928-10GE, and Cisco ME 4924-10GE Switches).

With the introduction of the Catalyst 9K (and presentation by AM/SE), almost everyone knows the 4K will soon disappear in <2 years.  So the recommendation about using 4948 is, for the lack of a better word, "sad".  

I hate to pile on, but in to addition to what Leo notes, the 4948-10G only has two 10g ports, so it also wouldn't meet the requirements noted in the OP.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card