Views
Helpful
Replies

LACP Team with a Synology RS3617RPxs

metuckness
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am hoping someone here can help me get a LACP connection up with a Synology NAS device. I have a Synology RS3617RPxs with a E10G17-F2 Dual SFP+ card in it. i have the two ports running to a Cisco 3850-24XS switch. I create the BOND in the Synology which is straight forward. Tell it which two ports, select IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic Link Aggregation, give it an IP, Subnet, DNS, Gateway and everything looks good, but no traffic is passed. it has a selection for a VLAN there, but I didn't tag it because I want it to take the VLANS I am sending over the trunked ports in the pair.

The Cisco config I have tried (well one of them) is:

interface Port-channel1
description SYNOLOGY LACP TEAM
switchport trunk allowed vlan 113,116
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/0/22
description SYNOLOGY LACP TEAM NIC1
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate
channel-group 1 mode active
spanning-tree portfast trunk
!
interface TenGigabitEthernet1/0/23
description SYNOLOGY LACP TEAM NIC 2
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate
channel-group 1 mode active
spanning-tree portfast trunk

The only thing I didn't try was setting switchport trunk native vlan 116.

It's says the team is connected, but it passes no packets and I can't connect to it, nothing.

I have another bonded LACP between this 3850 and a 3750 Stack that is working great.

Any ideas appreciated.

5 Replies 5

Hello,

try to specify 'switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q' on the Cisco side, and enable that on the Synology side as well. I think there is a check box in the Synology GUI, in the 'Network Interfaces' tab,  something like 'Enable Vlan (802.1q)...

I tried. As far as I can tell for layer two it is enabled natively as it doesn't take that command.

Hello,

can you try and configure the Cisco side ports as access ports instead of trunks ? I have a feeling the problem is related to the native Vlan or the trunk configuration. If LACP works with access ports, at least we know what to look further into...

Yeah. I will give it a go Monday and see. The ports do work independently as single 10GB ports, but I haven't tried a bonded access pair.

Hi,

Just a few things to try;

- Ensure on the Synology side that you have defined the relevant 802.1q VLAN against the bond interface.

- When deploying this on a Synology I tend to place the ether-channel into ‘passive’ rather than ‘active’ mode. Passive mode will enable the Synology to initiate the LACP negotiation process with the switch.

- You mention earlier on in the thread that you may want to try the ‘switchport trunk native vlan’ command, however unless the traffic is untagged this would not assist at this stage.

Regards

Matt

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card