cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LACP: Why should I use passive-active mode instead active-active mode?

marioguido93
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

i'm studying etherchannel for my CCNP exam and would like to know in which scemario it could be useful to use an active-passive configuration.

Regards

Mario

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mario,

You don't have to run active/passive. There is no issue with running LACP as active/active.  As a matter of fact, when you connect Nexus 2ks to 5ks or 7ks active/active should be configured.

In active/passive active side negotiate and the passive side minimizes transmission of LACP packets (less noise).

HTH

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Mario,

Active-Passive would be required if you want one device (Active) to control LACP negotiation.

HTH.

Regards,
RS.

Hi Rajeev,

Thank you for the answer, but, why I should have just one device to control LACP negotiation? Why not both? What are the advantages?

Are there any scenarios where you MUST have a port channel with LACP active-passive mode? (Maybe for security reasons?)

Thank you

Regars,

Mario

Hi Mario,

You don't have to run active/passive. There is no issue with running LACP as active/active.  As a matter of fact, when you connect Nexus 2ks to 5ks or 7ks active/active should be configured.

In active/passive active side negotiate and the passive side minimizes transmission of LACP packets (less noise).

HTH

Hello

Also setting one side to passive and the other to active   would be beneficial if your not sure if LACP is supported  on the link

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Passive mode is just for LACP protocol, so when you use it, you have to be sure that is supported on the other side of the link.

Right?

res

M

how to know other link is supported.

Hello,

as a rule of thumb, since LACP is open standard and supported by most vendors, if the other side is not a Cisco device, LACP is supported. If both sides are Cisco devices, PAGP (Cisco proprietary) and LACP are both supported.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card