cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN Input

ryan.wells
Level 1
Level 1

Ok everyone i have a question i would like to get some of you to give me your input. I am walking into an enviroment and am looking to make improvements. Currently the network is as follows:

Sonic Wall (Handles Routing as well as DHCP for clients)

HP Core (currently older switch just doing switching to Sonicwall)

Cisco 1, 2 and 3 (Cisco's Tie Back to HP, they are layer 3 but only do switching.)

I was able to get my boss to pick up another Cisco SG 300 28p, i realize there are better switches out there but it is what i have to work with. My question is as follows: Is there any benefit to replacing the HP "Core" with the new cisco and letting the new cisco act as the "Core" my initial thoughts are that if the all that is going on is switching that i am better off trying to route all switches to the Sonic Wall. As long as the Sonic Wall handles the routing and its a flat network there is not added benefit of having a core switch through which all traffic routes. Is my thinking correct on this?

1 Reply 1

Hello

I think you have answered you own question! - You don't specify what the HP and existing cisco switches are - However unless you have performace issues which could be fixed by swapping out the HP or you wish to unitise some additional features on the new cisco switch then why change.

The acronym KISS comes to mind!

Keep It Simple, Stupid

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card