Views
Helpful
Replies

LED lights stay Amber

rahman001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a Cisco catalyst switch 3750G has all LED lights staying amber still without blinking, I cannot console into it and it can’t boot past the POST.

What can I do or what do you advice.

THE ISSUE HAPPENED ON THE NETWORK AND IT WAS ISOLATED FROM THE NETWORK, SO NOW I AM TRYING TO RESOLVE IT OUTSIDE THE NETWORK

REGARDS

sam

4 Replies 4

Kevin P Sheahan
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Rahman001,

Some Cisco documentation states that steady amber lights will persist on switchports for which the VLAN it was assigned is removed. This may not be your issue as you've stated that you're unable to even console into the device and it cannot get past POST. If you cannot get the switch past POST and you cannot connect via console than your only hope it to have the switch replaced by Cisco. The 3750G's should be covered under Cisco's limited lifetime warranty program. You'd need to call them for additional details.

FROM CISCO DOC...

Port or Interface Status is Inactive

One common cause of inactive ports on switches that run CatOS is when the VLAN they belong to disappears. The same problem can occur on switches that run Cisco IOS when interfaces are configured as layer 2 switchports that use the switchport command.

Every port in a Layer 2 switch belongs to a VLAN. Every port on a Layer 3 switch configured to be a L2 switchport must also belong to a VLAN. If that VLAN is deleted, then the port or interface becomes inactive.

Note: Some switches show a steady orange (amber) light on each port when this happens.

For CatOS, use the show port or show port status command along with the show vlan command to verify:

Switch> (enable) sh port status 2/2
Port Name Status Vlan Duplex Speed Type
----- -------------------- ---------- ---------- ------ ----- ------------
2/2 inactive 2 full 1000 1000BaseSX
!--- Port 2/2 is inactive for VLAN 2.

Switch> (enable) sh vlan
VLAN Name Status IfIndex Mod/Ports, Vlans
---- -------------------------------- --------- ------- ------------------------
1 default active 5 2/1
!--- VLANs are displayed in order and VLAN 2 is missing.

For Cisco IOS, use the show interfaces card-type {slot/port} switchport command along with show vlan to verify.

Router#sh interfaces fastEthernet 4/47 switchport
  Name: Fa4/47Switchport: Enabled
  Administrative Mode: static access
  Operational Mode: static access
  Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: negotiate
  Operational Trunking Encapsulation: native
  Negotiation of Trunking: Off
  Access Mode VLAN: 11 ((Inactive))
  !--- FastEth 4/47 is inactive.

Router#sh vlan

VLAN Name                             Status    Ports
 ---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
 1    default                          active    Gi1/1, Gi2/1, Fa6/6
 10   UplinkToGSR's                    active    Gi1/2, Gi2/2
 !--- VLANs are displayed in order and VLAN 11 is missing.
 30   SDTsw-1ToSDTsw-2Link             active     Fa6/45

If the switch that deleted the VLAN is a VTP server for the VTP domain, every server and client switch in the domain has the VLAN removed from their VLAN table as well. When you add the VLAN back into the VLAN table from a VTP server switch, the ports of the switches in the domain that belong to that restored VLAN become active again. A port remembers what VLAN it is assigned to, even if the VLAN itself is deleted

Hope I was able to help.

Kind Regards,

Kevin

Kind Regards, Kevin Sheahan, CCIE # 41349

p.mcgowan
Level 3
Level 3

can you post an output of the bootup from console?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why can't you console into the appliance?

Vincent5
Level 1
Level 1

I have same problem with two 3560G switches. SYST, RPS, STAT, DUPLX and SPEED LED are lighting Amber.

No terminal output from the console ports, tested all baudrates.

Tried doing the normal reset with pressing mode button during boot but nothing happens.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card