Views
Helpful
Replies

License feature in Cisco 5672 UP

aswin_s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to perform a ISSU non-disruptive upgrade for Nexus 5672 UP. Cisco suggested to disable any Layer 3 license present in the device to proceed as non-disruptive installation. I found only one key file in bootflash. show license usage shows on LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG as in use.

But LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG and VMFEX_FEATURE_PKG are shown as Installed  although status is unused.

All the packages are having expiry as never expecting this is because the license file is a permanent one.

My Question is if i remove the only licnese file, will it affect only the Layer 3 traffic or will it affect the fex features too?

DC-N5K-1# show license usage
Feature                      Ins  Lic   Status Expiry Date Comments
                                 Count
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FCOE_NPV_PKG                  No    -   Unused             -
FM_SERVER_PKG                 No    -   Unused             -
ENTERPRISE_PKG                No    -   Unused             -
FC_FEATURES_PKG               No    -   Unused             -
VMFEX_FEATURE_PKG             Yes   -   Unused Never       -
ENHANCED_LAYER2_PKG           No    -   Unused             -
LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG         Yes   -   In use Never       -
LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG   Yes   -   Unused Never       -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DC-N5K-1# show license brief
license_FOC1838R2WD_7_1.lic

10 Replies 10

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If TAC said to disable it , use the show license usage LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG to see wahst in use in that license

Then you go to feature and disable whats shown like below ,  don't remove your license fully from flash you just disable your features for that specific license

xxxxxxxxx# sh license usage
Feature                      Ins  Lic   Status Expiry Date Comments
                                 Count
MPLS_PKG                      No    -   Unused             -
STORAGE-ENT                   No    -   Unused             -
VDC_LICENSES                  No    0   Unused             -
ENTERPRISE_PKG                No    -   Unused             -
FCOE-N7K-F132XP               No    0   Unused             -
FCOE-N7K-F248XP               No    0   Unused             -
ENHANCED_LAYER2_PKG           No    -   Unused             -
SCALABLE_SERVICES_PKG         No    -   Unused             -
TRANSPORT_SERVICES_PKG        No    -   Unused             -
LAN_ADVANCED_SERVICES_PKG     Yes   -   Unused Never       -
LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG   Yes   -   In use Never       -
xxxxxxxxxx# sh license usage LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG
Application              Vdc
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
pim                      xxxxxxxxxxxx
eigrp                    xxxxxxxxxxxx
----------------------------------------------------------------------------http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli/CLIConfigurationGuide/Licensing.html

EDIT: just so your aware your fex should be in the L2 license not the enterprise services

Thanks for the reply Mark,

We had a impact analysis done last week for the upgradation and all the FEX upgradation popped up as disruptive. Reason listed was L3. So i was thinking to clear the license from bootflash and repeat the impact analysis.

I will disable the features enabled in Enterprise package and check if the impact analysis changes to non-disruptive.

Below is the impact analysis output.

Compatibility check is done:
Module  bootable          Impact  Install-type  Reason
------  --------  --------------  ------------  ------
     1       yes      disruptive         reset  Non-disruptive install not supported if L3 was enabled
     2       yes      disruptive         reset  Non-disruptive install not supported if L3 was enabled
   102       yes      disruptive         reset  Non-disruptive install not supported if L3 was enabled
   104       yes      disruptive         reset  Non-disruptive install not supported if L3 was enabled
   105       yes      disruptive         reset  Non-disruptive install not supported if L3 was enabled
   106       yes      disruptive         reset  Non-disruptive install not supported if L3 was enabled

Will post the results after disabling the features from Lan Enterprise Package.

Yes definitely let me know what the check shows after disabling the features associated with it be interested to see if that sorts it

Hey Mark,

Got one more info show license usage showed only for LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG

DC-N5K-2# sh lic usage LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG
Application
---------------------------------------
btcm
---------------------------------------
LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG and VMFEX_FEATURE_PKG is empty.
Also there is a SVI for Peer Keep Alive link. My plan is to remove the feature btcm and SVI and do the impact analysis.

Only thing that comes to my mind is what is feature BTCM? 
I had some research and found this something related to Layer 3 SVI.

Anybody have any good idea what is feature btcm?

Hi

I actually haven't seen that feature before , i have checked my Nexus gear here 7ks,5s and 9s and I cant see that feature when I do (conft) feature ?

what does it give beside it when you go feature ? does it give the full  feature name  

Hi Mark,

Will confirm once i reach the site. From running config, i see only certain features enabled manually through feature command.

Let me verify if the feature command has btcm extension.

Ye please let me know when you do cant on anything on that bctm in the docs

Hi Mark,

What you said is correct, there is no feature btcm as a command. Our activity got completed yesterday and we were able to do the multiple - step ISSU upgradtion as non-disruptive from 7.0(2) to 7.2(1). These are the steps.

1. Uninstalled the license file from bootflash using command clear license.

2. Disabled Peer Keep Alive SVI. No disruptions occured as the physical peer link acted as peer keep alive link for the time being.

3. Changed LACP setting in Portchannel as LACP rate normal. If any LACP fast rate interfaces are present then ISSU won't proceed. Changing LACP is also a non-disruptive process.

4. Changed all the Designated Ports to Edge ports. We had some uplink ports listed under show spanning tree issu impact. We changed the port type to edge. Again this was also a non-disruptive process. Make sure to revert the settings back once upgradation completes. Also make sure no toplogy changes occur during upgradation.

5. We upgraded to Intermediate version first and then to final version.

6. It took around 15 minutes for 5k to upgrade and roughly 2 minutes for 2k FEX.

Hi glad to hear you got it done without issue , thanks for posting the steps someone could use them

Sure Thanks. Thanks for the support.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card