Views
Helpful
Replies

lifetime warranty on switches and smartnet

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All

If I purchase a 2960X switch, do I get a limited lifetime warranty with it? or do you have to pay for it?

Also, supposing the switch came with a software defect or vulnerability, do you need smartnet for this?

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

New switches come with a one-year manufacturer warranty that applies to hardware and software. after that, you would need to purchase a service contract to cover both the hardware and software.  You can buy a service contract for one or multiple years.

HTH

Hi

See the below statement from the 2960X Q and A page from Cisco

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/qa_c67-728348.pdf

Warranty
Q. What are the hardware warranty and return policy on the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches? A. Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches come with an Enhanced Limited Lifetime Warranty (E-LLW). The ELLW provides the same terms as Cisco’s standard limited lifetime warranty but adds next business day delivery of replacement hardware, where available, and 90 days of 8X5 Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) support.
Your formal warranty statement, including the warranty applicable to Cisco software, appears in the Cisco information packet that accompanies your Cisco product. We encourage you to review carefully the warranty statement shipped with your specific product before use.
Cisco reserves the right to refund the purchase price as its exclusive warranty remedy. For further information about warranty terms, visit cisco.com/go/warranty.

So this tells me that they do have a lifetime warranty?

@carl_townshend wrote:

So this tells me that they do have a lifetime warranty?

Yes.  

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@carl_townshend wrote:

If I purchase a 2960X switch, do I get a limited lifetime warranty with it? or do you have to pay for it? 

All my 2960S don't have a valid Service Contract but I can RMA them.  However, I have to "argue" with the Entitlements Team every (f*cking) time I have to do an RMA.  

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

@carl_townshend wrote:

All my 2960S don't have a valid Service Contract but I can RMA them.  However, I have to "argue" with the Entitlements Team every (f*cking) time I have to do an RMA.  

I've got a 2960S failing inline power tests. Rang TAC and requested an RMA and they told me to contact the partner that sold the switch even though the did say it was covered under warranty. Is this right or should TAC be processing the RMA?

Cisco TAC has no record of your company associated to the serial number. The vendor who sold you the switch has records with Cisco.
So rightfully, the vendor should raise an RMA in your behalf.

@Leo Laohoo wrote:
Cisco TAC has no record of your company associated to the serial number. The vendor who sold you the switch has records with Cisco.
So rightfully, the vendor should raise an RMA in your behalf.

Thanks, this is the first time I've had to use this warranty for a Cisco device. All the other times the device was covered by SmartNet. I've done this numerous times with HPE Procurves and HPE just process the RMA there and then simply with no fuss.

Hi,

Ask your Cisco Partner. If he will help you to transfer the Cisco contract under your Cisco ID

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card