cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

limiting a bandwidth on cisco 2960x switch

s.ghouse123
Level 1
Level 1

i would like  to limit internet speed on cisco 2960x switch port.egress and ingress  .upload 10mbps and download 10mbps . how to limit bandwidth on ingress.Thanks

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can do couple of ways :

Option 1: directly on the interface -

interface gigabitethernet0/1
speed 100MB
srr-queue bandwidth limit 30 ( *limit to 30% of interface speed = 30 Mbps - since you set the interface to 100MB.)

Option 2:

Policy MAP

ip access-list BW_30MB
permit ip any any
!
class-map match-all BW_30MB_LIMIT
match access-group BW_30MB
!
policy-map PM_30MB_LIMIT
class BW_30MB_LIMIT
police 3000000 8000 exceed-action drop
!
interface Gig1/0
service-policy output PM_30MB_LIMIT
service-policy input PM_30MB_LIMIT

Let me know how it goes after testing.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On egress, I recall the 2960 support both QoS egress queue shaping (don't recall if this works w/o QoS enabled) and port shaping (which will impact all traffic exiting that port.

On ingress, I recall (?) the 2960 support policing, but I also recall (??) there may be some conditions attached to using that.

That noted, you may find however limiting bandwidth from the Internet, doesn't deliver ideal results.  This because the limiter will be downstream of the Internet link.

s.ghouse123
Level 1
Level 1

want to cap only internet speed.i have gigabit ports ,altering port speed effects end user to access local resources i.e within network

Do you have one port for Internet access (to the outside)?  If so, that's where you target your policing and/or shaping efforts.

Policers (or shapers) will limit the bandwidth that passes through them.  What they always don't well regulate is bandwidth usage "upstream" of them.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the 2960 Switch connected to the Internet edge side, have you tried the options suggested? what was the outcome, before we jump on to another conclusion?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card