Views
Helpful
Replies

Line Card per-slot bandwidth

xilefr
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

I would like to ask help in clarifying/verifying my current understanding of the line cards or in itself the switches/routers.

For example I have a 4506 Switch and it is using the WS-X4548-RJ45 line card. Basically the WS-X4548-RJ45 has 48 ports of 10/100/1000. Bandwidth is allocated across six 8-port groups, providing 1 Gbps per port group. And this line card can only handle up to 6Gbps.

Based on my understanding, even though the max speed of each interface can be up to 1Gbps, I cannot configure all 48 ports as 1Gbps since it is said that each port group(8 ports each) are sharing 1Gbps each. As such I can only configure up to 6 ports of 1Gbps each (1 for each port group). Is my understanding correct? 

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes it is. 

If you had to ensure that each connection had access to the full 1Gbps bandwidth then you could only configure 6 of the ports and as you say you need to make sure each port is in a different port group. 

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes it is. 

If you had to ensure that each connection had access to the full 1Gbps bandwidth then you could only configure 6 of the ports and as you say you need to make sure each port is in a different port group. 

Jon

Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card