Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

load balance in the cisco 2950

dear all ..  i create bonding interface in switch cisco 2950 .. and create channel port ... the problem how can create load balance between the interfaces in the bonding .. i mean if i have 150M traffic i want each interface in the bonding interface carry 75M how can do that please ??? regards ..

5 Replies 5

Carles P R
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I was thinking in something similar now, that's why I came here, as far as I know, you can enter the command "port-channel load-balance ", then the switch makes a hash and transmit the data on one port or another one.

If you choose src-mac it will make a hash of the source mac, and if you choose the dst-mac then it will hash the destination mac.

I don't know if this helps you, also I got a question related to this, if someone can answer both questions at a time, is: in an etherchannel, the port to transmit data is choosen from an XOR of last bits of src and dst mac, it somehow makes a load balance based on mac addresses, but when enabling load-balance from global config, it continues doing the XOR operation or it just create a hash reading source or destination mac address as configured.

Thanks!!!

thank you Carles ... if i use the port-channel load balance .. which protocol i must use in bonding interface ??? i can use lacp   protocol ??

I'm not sure on LACP, I usually leave it using Cisco's PAgP, as PAgP in "on" mode is compatible with LACP in mode "on", I guess it should also work.

I'll check later from home where I have a CCNP and CCIE books, I hope it have an answer as it would be helpful for me too, you never know what you will find in the future!

I'll check back later.

Regards,

Carles

ok dear i will wait you

I just checked two CCNP and CCIE books, and in the load balance text doesn't says anything about PAgP or LACP, so I guess the syntax and work should be similar using each protocol.

Regards!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card