Views
Helpful
Replies

Local Span Port Troubleshooting Issue

Robert Singer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have a question regarding monitoring a Trunk Port with the help of a local Span Session on a Catalyst 2960S Switch with Version 12.2(55)SE3.

The scenario looks like the following sheme:

SnifferPC(Wireshark) <-> Telephone(Siemens) <-> Switch(2960S)<-> LAN Distribution Layer

The telephone sends SIP Traffic over VLAN 13 to the Voice Gateway and communicates with Phones over VLAN 13 (RTP)

I am interessted to capture this traffic on the uplink Port of the Switch (Trunk Port) to the LAN Distribution Layer. For this reason, i configured this Local Span:

Session 1
---------
Type                   : Local Session
Source Ports           :
    Both               : Gi1/0/26
Destination Ports      : Gi1/0/2
    Encapsulation      : Replicate
          Ingress      : Disabled

Gi1/0/26 is the uplink port to the distribution layer

Gi1/0/2 is the mirror port where the PC with wireshark in promiscous mode is listening.

My problem is, that i see all rtp,sip traffic on the whireshark pc, that is directly connected to the siemens phone. However, i do not see this traffic traversing the Uplink Port on the very same switch. I only see ARP Traffic in that VLAN from the Siemens Phone. I do not see SIP or RTP Traffic at all.

So, for that reason, i created a different Span Session that looks like these

Session 1

---------

Type                   : Local Session

Source VLANs           :

Both               : 13

Destination Ports      : Gi1/0/2

Encapsulation      : Replicate

Ingress      : Disabled

Still the same, i can see Traffic RTP and Sip that is leaving the phone, but i see that traffic not on the mirror port, expect of ARP.

Only as additional information, the SIP and RTP is working probably, i am able to establish a valid phone call.

Can someone give me a hint, what i am doing wrong ?

4 Replies 4

hi,

use an other port of the switch2960  for span session destination, the switch of phone "block" your span session

Regards

V.

hi,

thank you for your answer. i do not get the clue. why should i choose another port ? The the phone is connected to Gi 1/0/1

on the siemens phone there is a lan port, where the pc with wireshark is attached. i see the traffic here.... when i try to monitor the uplink of the switch, which is gi1/0/26 i span the it to the destination gi 1/0/2.... how should the bridge in the phone block my lspan session of the uplink to another destination port ?

Best regards

Robert

Hi,

ok,

I was misled by the scheme,

well erase all config in Gi1/0/2

(any switchport command)

then:

monitor session 1 destination interface gigabitEthernet Gi1/0/2

whithout encapsulation

regards

V.

Hi,

i did it without any success. But guess what, i upgraded to 15.0.1 and i got data now... seems very strange....

best regards,

robert

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card