Views
Helpful
Replies

Logging trap informational

AmitLohumi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

I have a small doubt. As per Cisco documentation, the Interface up/down transitions and system restart messages are displayed at the

notifications level. So, the command 'logging trap informational' should provide any interface transition messages to the Syslog.

However this is not happening in my case.

Do i need to configure any additional commands ... say "logging event link-status" in order to get the messages on the Syslog.

But my query, why should that be the case, if the notifications level ( which comes under informational ) is supposed to cover any intrerface up/down transitions .. ?

Any clarification on this would be helpfull. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Amit

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on the platform and OS release but in general you should have 'logging event link-status' enabled regardless the logging notification level.

If you type the command under the interface and it does not show up in the running config, the platform/OS combination is having the command enabled as default while if it shows up in the running config, the default behavior is having this service disabled.

Regards,

Edison

Thanks Edison,

Do you mean to say that it depends on the Platform / OS combination, wether or not any interface transition messages show up on the syslog with 'logging trap informational' turned on ?

Actually... my query is as to why the additional 'logging event link-status' command should be needed when the informational level ought to be covering the reporting of such messages.

Regards,

Amit

Amit,
The ability to report up/down interface notifications is independent of the logging notification level in the switch.
Some platforms have this feature enabled by default (IIRC, I've seen this enabled on 3560/3750 switches) while disabled in others such as 6500

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card