cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

looking for a DB9 serial to usb cable for Cisco SG300-52P

the_walrus
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco SG300-52P switch and I am looking for a DB9 serial to USB cable so that I can connect to the switch using the console port. Does anyone know of one that works.  I see several DB9 to RJ-45 but I am looking for one that goes directly to usb.  Does the chipset in the converter cable matter? (FTDI, or Prolific PL2303 chipsets)

Or am I looking at the wrong sort of thing and should I be looking for a USB to TTL serial adapter like this? USB to TTL Serial Adapter On Amazon  and just run the cables to the right pins on the console port on the switch?

Any advice is welcome.  Thank you

4 Replies 4

@Reza Sharifi would just that db9 to usb cable work? because the console port on the back of the SG300 is a 9 pin serial connector. (as opposed to an RJ-45 connector)

Yes, So, 9 pins serial side connects to the switch and USB to the laptop.

Once you connect the USB to the laptop, you should be able to see what com port it is using and adjust your terminal emulator to match it.

HTH

the_walrus
Level 1
Level 1

@Reza Sharifi  thank you, I will check it out and let you know if it works for me. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: