cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for some Documentation...

whoffkne11
Level 1
Level 1

So I work as a tech for a large company and at the site that I am at my team and I are trying to get the general manager to approve some additions to the network infrastructure, mainly to allow us to add on to our access-level switches and remove all small dummy (netgear) switches from the floor.

I know the reason why these are bad and I can explain them, but my manager wants as much documentation to give when they plead their case to buy us new cisco equipment.  I did a bunch of searches on "Best Practices" and models and all that, but I cannot find an official statement on why it is bad to hook a dummy switch to a switchport.  I was wondering if any of you guys have that info or know of where the cisco page would be with that information so I can complete my write up with as much ammunition as possible.

Any help would be great, thanks!

3 Replies 3

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

One of the main reasons to be carfull when placing a dummy switch into the network, is that it can easily introduce L2 Switching loop if not carfully connected at edge.

A dummy switch doesnt understand and recognize BPDUs , so STP would not be functioning here.

This of Course beside lots of other Switching capability features which is wont be available on such dummy switches.

HTH

Mohamed

Oh yeah, I know a lot of the stuff, but I am looking for cisco documentation.

Edit: Sorry Guys, Wrong Post

Toshi

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card