cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lost connection with unit * reason: connection timeout. Unit will...

schuster
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

since a few weeks, we are notice a lot of timeouts in our network. We figured out that there are unplanned reboots in our stack. This is what the stack is logging: 

schuster_0-1710839508988.png

We are using the stack in a ring-topology in hybrid-mode with the firmware 2.5.5.47 and the following models: 

- SG550XG-8F8T
- SG550X-24MP
- SG550X-24
- SG550X-24

Is there any way to figure out why the unit was rebooted? Do you need any other informations? 

Thanks in advance. 

schuster

5 Replies 5

pieterh
VIP
VIP

1) what has changed "since a few weeks" ?

2) your output "server certificate validation failed" may indicate that  a certificate installed on one of the switches has expired ?
3) the root cause may not be the reboot, but the member was rebooted as result of the connection timeout
4) "connection lost" may indicate the ring is not closed, and the other stack link disconnected

5) you may have grown out of the limits of hybrid Mode

• If your environment is a lightly loaded network backbone, Hybrid Mode may be a perfectly acceptable solution for best flexibility and physical changes to the stack.
  • Hybrid Mode forces internal resources to be allocated using the least common denominator. For example, if one model has a MAC table size of 16K and you have another, higher-performance model with a MAC table size of 64K, a stack using Hybrid Stack Mode will force the operating stack to 16K, thus limiting the availability of additional internal hardware resources.

Thanks for your reply pieterh! I replied to your questions below:

1)

since we try to cleanup the network, we changed a lot of things:

- we set the STP-priority to 0 on the stack in our server room (which is the affected one and which is connected to the other switches). The other switches have higher priorities. Before this change, all switches had the same priority and the mac decided

- we disabled EEE, PnP and two links which are creating a loop

- we configured a default gateway on the stack which is pointing to our firewall

- we implemented a Sophos XGS (before, there was a "stupid" bintec router in place)

- we increased the ram log level to debug since we hope to get more information what the stack is doing

- we configured a remote log server (which is pointing to a local hosted graylog instance)

- we unplugged and plugged in again all of the stacking-cables (apart from that, we doesnt changed the hardware)

2) 

- the "Error: server certificate validation failed"-message appears since we enabled tls interception on our Sophos. We excluded the switches from the tls interception, since this change, I don't see the message again. Both certificates are valid until next year. It seems that the switch is using OCSP or something similar?

3 / 4)

- at the time of check, all links are active: 

schuster_0-1710859387620.png

We now will monitor these links to ensure that they are 24/7 up. 

5)

I measured the entries in "show mac address-table" and got ~250 results. This is expected since we have ~50 employees. The Sophos show ~300 macs in his table (the difference of ~50 should be ok since the stack doesn't see the guest wifi clients). I think the the SG550XG should be fine with this "low level load", or am I missing something?

I'm open to all suggestions. Let me know if I can provide you any more details about our configuration which may helps to analyze. 

The next thing we planned is a reboot of all stack-members at the same time. I will do that on next saturday. 

Another thing I have noticed is the following. Is it expected that the master doesn't have a uplink-port (I executed show stack)?

schuster_1-1710860739062.png

Thanks in advance. 

schuster

take a look at  Configure Stack Settings on a Switch through the CLI - Cisco
show stack 
shows an uplink port on the master

maybe 
    show stack links [details]
gives some more information of what is wrong?

>>> we set the STP-priority to 0 on the stack in our server room<<<
is this a different stack ?
if not check if the STP root is also the master of the stack.

The result of show stack links [details] looks ok from my perspective (but I will check this view again when we receive the problems again) : 

schuster_0-1710915717323.png

STP - no, this is the same stack where we noticed the reboots. I checked the STP root bridge info on the other switches, they all have the current master from the stack as root bridge id configured. 

schuster
Level 1
Level 1

I also found a Cisco Bug Report which describes our situation: CSCvu51887 : Bug Search Tool (cisco.com)

But unfortunately, the bug is "Terminated". and it doesn't fit to our firmware-version... any suggestions how to continue with this error?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card