Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lost packets on ping

Hello and sorry for my English,

Lately I had problems with an application in RDS. We tried to find explanations. Among various concerns, we found that when we ping permanently on a device, on 2000 packets, we have 2 or 3 packets of lost.
The response time is correct : 1ms

Also, if i ping permanenlty google for example, i lost 2 or 3 packets
Can it be normal to lose some ping packets when pinging permanently for 1 or 2 hours for example?

Thank you

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Over internet it happens some time. How about same ping continuously on your Gateway and Next hop pf the Gateway IP address.

What kind of device is this ? is this possible to share more information like configuration.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

If you are pinging over the Internet for a couple of hours and lose only 2 or 3 packets then I would consider you very lucky. Even pinging within your own network if you ping 2000 packets and lose 2 or 3 I would find it very difficult to see this as a problem. 

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

i d'like to understand something.

If i ping one switch on my network, i have latency between 3ms to 13ms sometimes

but if i ping one server connected to this same switch, i have latency 1ms

how we can explain that ?

It might be helpful to remember that there are 2 components that make up the reported latency. One component is the amount of time it takes for the data to travel over the network. The other component is the amount of time for the target device to respond to the ping. For Cisco network devices responding to ping is a low priority task. If you ping the switch and it is busy with higher priority tasks it might take 12 ms for it to schedule the task and to respond to the ping so you might get 13ms latency.

ping is a good tool for investigating network connectivity. ping is not a particularly good tool for investigating network performance.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

For the reasons noted by Rick, some Cisco network devices support a "special" responder function (see SLA features), to provide a much more accurate network latency measurement. What this function does is timestamp when the "ping" was received, and when the device finally responds, it "knows" how long it took for the internal response.

Oh, and as pings were not intended for precise measurements, or all requests guaranteed to responded to, sometimes the receiving host, if busy (or it believes it's being pinged too much), just doesn't respond at all. I.e. the ping wasn't lost on the network. Also remember normal "pings" (high) latency and/or loss might happen in either or both directions. Knowing which "direction" a network performance issue is, I recall (?) can also be determined by some SLA tests, but not easily by regular/ordinary ping.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card