cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Low memory error on catalyst 4507

wasiimcisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Catalyst 4507 as core switch. They are uplink with each other on redundent fiber cable. I am also running HSRP for each vlan configured on it. Everything was working fine. But this morning suddendly communication stop. No response of telnet. When I console the switch i found following errors on cosole

%% Low on memory; try again later

on the 2nd core switch i found this error on console

15w4d: %C4K_EBM-4-HOSTFLAPPING: Host 00:0E:0C:EB:37:2F in vlan 2 is flapping between port Gi3/1 and port Gi3/2

15w4d: %C4K_EBM-4-HOSTFLAPPING: Host 00:1D:45:61:A4:2B in vlan 3 is flapping between port Gi3/1 and port Gi3/2

15w4d: %C4K_EBM-4-HOSTFLAPPING: Host 00:0E:0C:C0:4B:50 in vlan 2 is flapping between port Gi3/2 and port Gi3/1

15w4d: %C4K_EBM-4-HOSTFLAPPING: Host 00:1D:45:61:A3:C5 in vlan 3 is flapping between port Gi3/2 and port Gi3/1

15w4d: %HSRP-4-DUPADDR: Duplicate address 172.28.63.66 on Vlan2, sourced by 0000.0c07.ac0a

Then i remove the rundent fiber uplink and switches start responding. Even after placing the redundent fiber uplink back starts working.

why i got memeory error on core switch 1 and why this happened. I didnt change anything for the last two months.

IOS Version is 12.2(25)EWA9

1 Reply 1

jsivulka
Level 5
Level 5

1) When this occurs, there is a possiblity of switch not having enough memory to process the control packets & may cause side effects like STP loop or EOBC cutoff.

2) This is triggered, by mere logging into the switch, entering the global config mode, exiting out & logging out. Each individual session leaks out memory. When you log into the switch and enter any configuration command, a block of memory that has the size of NVRAM leaks. Each time you start a new session and enter a configuration command, another block of memory leaks. The cumulative leak may consist of a significant amount of memory, depending upon the Supervisor.

3) Upgrade to later version

More informations can be provided by following links:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a0080134f18.shtml#subtopic1c

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card