cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LPM Failed to insert into VLAN TCAM

exo
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having a strange problem when adding VLANs on a port-channel on a Cisco ASR.

*Jul 31 10:18:35.648: %IOSXE-4-PLATFORM: R0/0: kernel: ERROR: LPM Failed to insert into VLAN TCAM

*Jul 31 10:18:35.648: %IOSXE-4-PLATFORM: R0/0: kernel: ERROR: LPM Failed to set single vlan 111 port 4 l2 0 qv bit:Q

The config is:

interface Port-channel1.111

description "x"

encapsulation dot1Q 111

ip address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 255.255.255.248

Other interfaces configured in the same way on the same Port-channel are working fine. I have the same problem with any new VLAN ID.

Has anyone seen that before or got any suggestions?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello exo,

Is it possible that on the shared port adapter (SPA) that hosts the ports of this port-channel, you are already using 8100 VLANs when counted across all interfaces and subinterfaces? There is a limit of 8100 total VLANs per SPA, and you might be hitting that one:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/interface/command/ir-cr-book/ir-f1.html#wp2619498603

The link I have referenced also mentions the "hw-module subslot slot / subslot ethernet vlan unlimited" command that can be used to lift this limit.

Please let me know. Thank you!

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello exo,

Is it possible that on the shared port adapter (SPA) that hosts the ports of this port-channel, you are already using 8100 VLANs when counted across all interfaces and subinterfaces? There is a limit of 8100 total VLANs per SPA, and you might be hitting that one:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/interface/command/ir-cr-book/ir-f1.html#wp2619498603

The link I have referenced also mentions the "hw-module subslot slot / subslot ethernet vlan unlimited" command that can be used to lift this limit.

Please let me know. Thank you!

Best regards,
Peter

Genius, you've cleared a huge headache for me, thank you!

There where only a small handful of vlans registered but a range listed for Q in Q.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco