cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mac-address-table size problem

Toug31
Level 1
Level 1
Hi, I'm trying to route several flows by mac dest with the mac-address-table. I tried with a WS-C2950G-24-EI. But after approx 250 entries like "mac-address-table static 0300.0000.0E18 vlan 1 interface FastEthernet 0/21", the cisco returns: "MAC address could not be added", like its table is full. I tried successfully with a cisco 4506. But this switch is too big for a travel. I would like to know if there is mean to increase this limitation of approx 255 entries. I need approx 1500 entries. I have other switchs, like 2960, but they don't know the command "mac-address-table". Maybe with a newer 2950? this one is very old.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I don't have a 2950 or 2960 around, however i would have expected the number of static mac addresses to be limited by the total number of entries, which should be in the thousands. To confirm the size of the table run the following command:

show mac-address-table count 

You mention that you have other switches, however they don't support the mac-address-table command. Do they perhaps support the mac address-table command instead? 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

I don't have a 2950 or 2960 around, however i would have expected the number of static mac addresses to be limited by the total number of entries, which should be in the thousands. To confirm the size of the table run the following command:

show mac-address-table count 

You mention that you have other switches, however they don't support the mac-address-table command. Do they perhaps support the mac address-table command instead? 

Hope this helps.

Great! I succeeded with a 2960 cisco with the command you gave me.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card