Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
LesterClayton
Beginner

MAC Filtering not working - need assistance

We have joined our L2 network with another one via a Cisco Catalyst 4500X switch, which has two egress ports in a port channel.  We use MSFT NLB technology, which is sent to every device which participates in the same VLAN.  We want to deny this traffic from being sent to the other network.

I have made the following configuration changes:

mac access-list extended msft-nlb
 deny   any 02bf.0000.0000 0000.ffff.ffff
 permit any any
interface Port-channel116
 mac access-group msft-nlb out

When I do capture on the connected network, I still see traffic being sent to a MAC address which should have been denied by the filter.

2018-04-23 09_08_02.pngIs MAC filtering supposed to have prevented this packet from leaving the network?  Have I made a mistake in my configuration or have I misunderstood what MAC Filtering does?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
amikat
Rising star

Hi,

MAC ACLs are generally effective for non-IPv4 traffic only. While this is somewhat platform dependent it is also true for your box.

To cope with the MS NLB in the multicast mode you typically configure static arp and static mac address as per the document beneath:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/107995-configure-nlb-00.html

Best regards,

Antonin

View solution in original post

You have led me to a resolution.  I have placed the following command on the switch:

mac address-table static 02bf.0a6e.b097 vlan 41 drop

And now the traffic is not being forwarded to the new network.  Result!