cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Make link status turn off when client is turned off.

mcdonald-james
Level 1
Level 1

We had some Nortel switches. When the client was turned off the link on the switch was off. We liked it because it showed when systems were active and in use. Now we switched to some 3850's and the link stays active all the time no matter what the status of the client is (powered on or powered off). I believe I can modify the system to turn off the nic when the system powered off, but I was wondering if I can do it with one config change on the switch instead.

Thanks in Advance

James

7 Replies 7

Does the inteface status show "not connected" during this?

no it stays connected. That is the problem the link is green on the nic on the machine and the port on the switch.

Try disabling the wake on Lan feature by disabling it in the BIOS on your pc.

You may need to change the power options of the nic to allow windows to shut it down when not in use.

Personally I prefer the nic to stay up, so It's obvious that a pc is plugged into a switchport, even the device is powered down.

Hope this helps,

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks.

Also ensure you don't have 

no keepalive 

under the interface

Thanks,

Madhu

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I believe I can modify the system to turn off the nic when the system powered off, but I was wondering if I can do it with one config change on the switch instead.

Define "powered off"?  Powered off how?  From the button on the computer or by pulling the power cable of the computer.  

Another thing, what "config change" do you want?  For this you might want to look at Auto SmartPort (ASP) macro.  

Not easy to do but very possible.

Powered off is from pushing the power button on the PC. We use the link status to verify the system is off.

James

Powered off is from pushing the power button on the PC. We use the link status to verify the system is off. 

Not sure what model of the NIC cards are used, but if you just powered off the computer then the NIC cards are active.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card