Views
Helpful
Replies

Making 3850 stack members boot same image

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hey -

I tried to create a stack with 2, 3850s. I upgraded one switch to a later version, configured the priority on that same switch as 15, changed the boot system to the new image reloaded both switches but there was a version mismatch. I thought the priority 15 switch would also automatically upgrade the other switch. The priority 15 switch had the new image but the other switch had the factory image. So, I copied the new image in flash in the priority 15 switch to the other switch - flash-2, and it copied successfully. Then I rebooted both again but there was still a mismatch. Then, I unplugged the stack cables and went into the other switch via the console and changed it's boot statement to the new image as well. Rebooted again and now all looks good but - 

There's go to be a  better way to do this?

Thanks, Pat

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

julijime
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Patrick,

A better option to upgrade your stack would be to: 

1. Have your switches in Install Mode and then 
2. Copy the .bin file to your Active switch 
3. Issue the Software Install command, which will automatically copy the IOS .bin file between your stack members and perform the upgrade without any other intervention.

"software install file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.03.01.SE.150-1.EZ1.bin switch 1-2" 

A different option would be to configure the "software auto-upgrade enable" feature which will upgrade any new switch connected to the stack.

Please visit the below link which is a great document that explains the above procedures:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/117552-technote-cat3850-00.html

Please also note that there is no option yet to avoid a complete stack reload while upgrading your 3850 stack.

Hope that this info helps!

View solution in original post

Hi Patrick,

I think that the approach that you took was the best to avoid confusion. Another way could be to use the provision command which can help you numbering the switches that you're planning to add:

(config)#switch [x] provision [model]

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/ha_stack_manager/command_reference/b_hastck_3se_3850_cr/b_hastck_3se_3850_cr_chapter_010.html

Hope this helps! :)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

julijime
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Patrick,

A better option to upgrade your stack would be to: 

1. Have your switches in Install Mode and then 
2. Copy the .bin file to your Active switch 
3. Issue the Software Install command, which will automatically copy the IOS .bin file between your stack members and perform the upgrade without any other intervention.

"software install file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.03.01.SE.150-1.EZ1.bin switch 1-2" 

A different option would be to configure the "software auto-upgrade enable" feature which will upgrade any new switch connected to the stack.

Please visit the below link which is a great document that explains the above procedures:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/117552-technote-cat3850-00.html

Please also note that there is no option yet to avoid a complete stack reload while upgrading your 3850 stack.

Hope that this info helps!

Jule,

I actually opened a TAC and was told to do the same thing and it worked great.

When I did the stacking though, I ony would add one at a time. I would wait for the new switch to come back with the new image from the master switch and then I would change the priority of the newly added switch to one less than the previous switch in the stack. Could I have added all the switches I intended to stack all at once? I was concerned that the switches would not be numbered the way I wanted which was top down (I know they can be changed after but, I thought it would be less confusing to do one at a time)

Thanks

Hi Patrick,

I think that the approach that you took was the best to avoid confusion. Another way could be to use the provision command which can help you numbering the switches that you're planning to add:

(config)#switch [x] provision [model]

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/ha_stack_manager/command_reference/b_hastck_3se_3850_cr/b_hastck_3se_3850_cr_chapter_010.html

Hope this helps! :)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card