Views
Helpful
Replies

Manipulating the "show interfaces summary" command

BruteForce
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

One of the useful commands I'm finding is "show interfaces summary" because it shows all of the ports that have sent/received packets since the last reboot, even if the the port is currently disconnected. This is useful information for a a number of reasons, like for cable cleanup. 

For large stacks and chassis switches it can be annoying though because you have to go line by line to see if a port is all 0s between ports that do have packets being sent, if that makes sense. 

I've heard you can manipulate the command with include/begin/exclude to only show ports with all 0s, or only show ports without all 0s.. Something like 'sh interfaces summary | i 0|0|0', or something like that. I don't know the actual command, and it's not something I can use "?" to find out. Does anyone know how to do this? I typically only ever "include/begin" one thing after the pipe. 

1 Accepted Solution
2 Replies 2

I was not familiar with it. I was able to get 'sh interfaces summary | e 0 +0 +0 +0 +0 +0' to show exactly what I want, thank you. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card