Views
Helpful
Replies

Mgig?

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hey

anyone know when 3850s will have mgig abilty? If they don't all ready? Having a hard time finding any info on it.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thought the 3850 was top of the line for access?

Oh you jest.  Some of the SE are being "pressured" to sell 3650/3850 even though the IOS is ... "not matured" enough to handle the workload of the 3560X/3750X.  I can now see why a lot of people are reluctant to upgrade to the newer platform.  How wrong I was to recommend the 3650/3850!

What new models?

Talk to your authorized Cisco SE.  It's an "open secret".  I got my information from a Cisco SE (from another country) as early as October 2014.

PS:  Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts.  :)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
anyone know when 3850s will have mgig abilty

Currently 3850 will NOT support mGIG.  mGIG is NOT backward-compatible.  Only the new models will support mGIG.  

Thanks Leo

What new models? Thought the 3850 was top of the line for access?

Thought the 3850 was top of the line for access?

Oh you jest.  Some of the SE are being "pressured" to sell 3650/3850 even though the IOS is ... "not matured" enough to handle the workload of the 3560X/3750X.  I can now see why a lot of people are reluctant to upgrade to the newer platform.  How wrong I was to recommend the 3650/3850!

What new models?

Talk to your authorized Cisco SE.  It's an "open secret".  I got my information from a Cisco SE (from another country) as early as October 2014.

PS:  Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts.  :)

Thanks for the info - kind of freaks me out a bit

Any idea when Mgig will be supported from Cisco access switches on the 3850 or anything else? 

Any idea when Mgig will be supported from Cisco access switches on the 3850 or anything else? 

Word on the streets is the mGIG 3850 will be coming out in the next few weeks but internally slated to make an appearance 1Q15Y.

kind of freaks me out a bit

Sorry for the late response.  I've been unwell. 

Me too.  Freaks me out.  Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about it.  Cisco is heading down into the LINUX road.  3560X, 3750X, 2960S/X/XR will be the last of their kind to support Cisco IOS.   I

There are a number of benefits to the new direction: 

1.  New hardware architecture like multi-core CPU and more memory; 

2.  Higher profits for Cisco; 

The bad news to all of this is they've got to, in a sense, re-invent the wheel.  What you're seeing with the "speed bumps" to the switch from Cisco IOS to Cisco LINUX IOS is across the board.  It's not affecting just switches but wireless as well.  I am sure the routers are also feeling the pressure. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card