cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Millions of shortcounter hits CBS250-8P-E-2G

mattm311
Level 1
Level 1

I have been experiencing an extreme amount of short counter hits on my CBS250-8P-E-2G.

Currently it is at 2022806 hits across all ports, and relatively even 500,000 hits per live port out of the 4 in use.   This is over maybe 2-3 days since I last cleared it.  Using all premade cables, the same cables and same run that were not an issue with my previous switch of another brand.  3 ports are going to NON-POE devices, and the only one pulling power is the single Ruckus AP.

The only reason I even discovered the short counter was that my AP will randomly reboot, just like my prior AP would.  Neither AP would reboot on my old switch, but I never made the connection that the older AP never started rebooting until I put in the CBS250 to replace the other switch.  When the brand new AP was rebooting randomly as well that made me pause and consider it was the switch.  

How can I figure out what is going on, or is this simply a defective switch?

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CBS250 - what firmware running, have you checked the Logs in the switch (any abnormalities)

can you post show run from the switch also some logs you see on the switch.

If this is effecting your environment and need assistance, contact SMB TAC they can investigate for you.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it!

It is on the latest firmware, I forget the version but confirmed it is the latest.

I am not at all familiar with the command line on these switches and would have to order a console cable I believe is that correct?

I am brand new to Cisco, but this is my home switch.  I was very surprised to learn that it seems like the only support that comes with the "lifetime warranty" is an RMA, and all support seems to be community forum based, unless I pay for an additional support contract, is that correct?  I can't seem to get Cisco to do anything to help me or guide me other than tell me to post here and let the community help or buy a TAC, or RMA the switch.   RMA  the switch leaves me with no switch at home and my entire network down.  The reason I went with Cisco was the perceived reliability and stability, I don't think I would have done so if I knew there wasn't actual support like all the other manufacturers offer.    I find the whole support site very difficult to navigate and confusing since it is so different from other companies where support will troubleshoot their in warranty product with you.  Am I misunderstanding something? 

This is very much effecting my environment and I'm not sure how I could do an RMA without buying another switch to use in the meantime which is beyond inconvenient.  I really was just hoping Cisco could help troubleshoot or even confirm it needs an RMA.  It could be as simple as a bad power supply for all I know, but I can't get a human being to troubleshoot without spending more money on a support contract for an 8 port home switch, unless the community forums happens to know the answer, is that correct?

You can also use SSH to connect to switch.

If this is defective they offer you RMA sure.

Sure for TAC to troubleshoot you need to have  contract.

but if you can provide show run and logs, may community members can able to help you - based on their experience and some fix they can offer.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you, I will have to spend some time to learn the syntax and SSH in, I will see if I can do that tonight.  Appreciate it, I thought the only way was a cable.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card