cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Missing VLAN Command

Matt Wilson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I have two 1841s that are pretty well identical. They both have the same IOS version. One (R1841.1) has a HWIC-4ESW whilst the other (R1841.2) doesn't. This is the only difference between them. When I get into configuration mode on both of them and issue the vlan ? command, R1841.1 gives the following:

R1841.1(config)#vlan ?
  WORD        ISL VLAN IDs 1-4094
  accounting  VLAN accounting configuration
  ifdescr         VLAN subinterface ifDescr

R1841.2 gives the following:

R1841.2(config)#vlan ?
  accounting  VLAN accounting configuration
  ifdescr         VLAN subinterface ifDescr

Why would R1841.2 be missing the WORD qualifier from the list of possible commands? Is this to do with the fact it doesn't have a HWIC-4ESW inserted? I can still configure VLANs from the enable prompt (vlan database). I could power them down and swap the 4ESW between the two but am in the middle of doing stuff on them.

Cheers,

Matt.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Matt,

Why would R1841.2 be missing the WORD qualifier from the list of possible commands? Is this to do with the fact it doesn't have a HWIC-4ESW inserted?

Precisely because of that. The vlan vlan-id command is used to define VLANs for switched modules installed into your router. You do not create VLANs for routed subinterfaces should you be using any - you simply create the subinterface and refer to the corresponding VLAN by the usual encapsulation dot1q vlan-id command.

Please feel welcome to ask further.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Matt,

Why would R1841.2 be missing the WORD qualifier from the list of possible commands? Is this to do with the fact it doesn't have a HWIC-4ESW inserted?

Precisely because of that. The vlan vlan-id command is used to define VLANs for switched modules installed into your router. You do not create VLANs for routed subinterfaces should you be using any - you simply create the subinterface and refer to the corresponding VLAN by the usual encapsulation dot1q vlan-id command.

Please feel welcome to ask further.

Best regards,
Peter

Thanks Peter, that makes sense.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card