Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitor ISP Links

ankitohc
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Team,

How can we monitor the ISP links if any link goes down? Is there a tool available? What are the best practices to monitor it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @ankitohc,

SNMP can be used to monitor the status and performance of network devices, including routers and switches connected to your ISP links. Tools like Nagios, Zabbix, PRTG Network Monitor or Grafana can use SNMP to gather information about link status and trigger alerts if a link goes down.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @ankitohc,

SNMP can be used to monitor the status and performance of network devices, including routers and switches connected to your ISP links. Tools like Nagios, Zabbix, PRTG Network Monitor or Grafana can use SNMP to gather information about link status and trigger alerts if a link goes down.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most cases People use NMS to Monitor for Long term KPI Purpose - if you have one you can  use the same to monitor and alerts

If you do not have one  - you can use EEM Script to send email alerts if the Link go down.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If an ISP link physically shows down on your device, and the device supports management, often this can be monitored.  Various ways to do that, much depends on what the network device supports, and how/what will be doing the monitoring.

That said, with ISP links, a physical link might go down, not attached to any of your devices, or the ISP has some other issue that precludes using their service (i.e. you cannot reach anything when you attempt to).

For those, you need something that actively "probes" your ISP is working, and if not, you can detect that.  Again, various ways to accomplish that.  Also again, much depends on your equipment.

Some of those products you can run on a PC, and they will actively, and repeatedly, try to contact other destinations, and can "alarm" in various ways, if one or more of their "targets" cannot be reached.

Lastly, sometimes you can also use a hybrid approach, taking advantage of what a network device, itself, can tell you, and what you can determine with a program attempting to "use" the network.

(edit - PS:)

BTW, laugh, most networks already have "built-in" ISP monitoring.  I.e. your phone rings and caller says, I cannot reach www.xxx.com.  You hang-up, immediately phone rings again.  That caller says, I cannot reach www.yyy.com.  You hang-up, immediately phone rings . . .

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card