Replies

monitor session ?

rico_hao40
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Have a question about monitoring a port on 4500, command is

"monitor session 1 source interface Gi3/5

monitor session 1 destination interface Gi7/46", The sniffer is on 7/46 and monitoring server is on 3/5.

But I looked at the capture session, there are some session (unicast) even destination IP is not the server are captured ? My understanding is only source or destication IP/MAC of the server are captured on port 3/5, but why I can see other sessions?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

when you configure spanning, the traffic on the port 3/5 will be mirrored onto port g7/46.

This will capture all packets/sessions that are being originated from the device connected to that port and also all broadcasts/multicasts directed to the port

Narayan

Thanks for reply.

Yes, I think I should capture only packets/session are broadcasts/multicast or the unicast which source or destination is the server on that port, but my problem is besides above packet, I also captured lots session which are not brodcast/multicast, they are unicast and both the source or distication are not that server?

For example,

My server is 10.1.1.1/24 on port g3/5, but on that port I captured

10.20.20.1(source-61225)->10.254.2.1(des-http)

I think this session does not have any relation with server 10.1.1.1, why I can see them on port g3/5?

Strange ? Because switch should maintain a MAC -port table that only destination MAC belong to that port are forwarding

This could be due to the fact that the switch is yet to learn the mac address of the destination on any port and hence is broadcasting

Typically if a switch does not know the mac address to port pinding of any frame, it will broadcast the packet out all ports except from the one received.

i dont think you will see the entite tcp stream for that session

HTH,

Narayan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card