cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring network traffic from a multicast IP address

Marsupial9963
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to figure out a way to monitor network traffic from a specific multicast IP address and port via SNMP. I've found the MIB files that for the Catalyst 2960 + switch and I have been trying to use the iReasoning MIB browser to view the MIB files, but it seems like every time that I try to view a MIB file in the browser I get an error message that the MIB file that I am trying to read is dependent on another file that I don't have.  At this point, there are a couple of questions that I have:

1st: If SNMP is not properly setup on the switch will I have problems just viewing the available MIB/OIDs that are accessible on the switch?

2nd: Do I need to leave the SNMP agent active on the switch if I am using a 3rd party SNMP software. 

3rd: Would I configure the switch to monitor the network traffic on the multicast IP address and port and then have the switch report that information back to my SNMP server or would I just pull that information from the switch directly from my SNMP server? 

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @Marsupial9963 ,

the MIBs have to be loaded on the MIB browser using the correct order or you get errors.

2) >> 2nd: Do I need to leave the SNMP agent active on the switch if I am using a 3rd party SNMP software. 

yes of course, because whatever software is used is the SNMP agent on the switch the one can answer to SNMP requests of any type

3) >> Would I configure the switch to monitor the network traffic on the multicast IP address and port and then have the switch report that information back to my SNMP server or would I just pull that information from the switch directly from my SNMP server? 

This it totally unclear to me. The SNMP server should pull each device over time to get monitoring data. As far as I know there is no multicast support for SNMP protocol . At least I have never heard of it.

Edit:

if you mean that you want to use SNMP to monitor multicast traffic on the device this is possible.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipmulti/config_library/15-s/imc-pim-15-s-book/imc_snmp_trap_mcast.pdf

and

https://serverfault.com/questions/392454/how-to-monitor-a-udp-multicast-stream-on-a-cisco-network-hopefully-with-snmp

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I was able to get the errors with the MIB files resolved and having the SNMP agent active on the switch. I've been reading through the articles that you've linked to your post and I think that my idea to use SNMP to monitor multicast traffic may be dead in the water. 

If I am understanding what I am reading correctly , I'd need to have access to our routers and I don't have access to the routers. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card