cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving 3850 permanent Licensing of WLC adder licenses

gp1200x
Level 2
Level 2

It appears that I can move licenses between 3850s....I am referring to the WLC permanent adder licenses. Anyone do this yet??

When they are in the stack the docs imply I can move the permanent adder licenses from one switch to another from what I read. If I remove the newly activated licensed switch from the stack it appears it would stay with that switch. Is this correct?

If I have a WLC on an IP base unit can I move it to an IPservices switch?   I thought in this case you would not be able to add the two together in the same stack without it giving you an error. If this is the case, is it possible to even move it from an IP base to and IP Service switch?

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have never done this before but looking at this document (see link) there is no mention of stack as it says:

"AP licenses can be transferred between two 3850 switches or between 3850 and 5760 controller"

So, you should be able to do this when the switches are not stacked. To be sure, you may want to contact your Cisco SE or the re-seller.

If I have a WLC on an IP base unit can I move it to an IPservices switch?   I thought in this case you would not be able to add the two together in the same stack without it giving you an error. If this is the case, is it possible to even move it from an IP base to and IP Service switch?

For stacking, you should always used the same license for all switches.

link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/product_bulletin_c25-720777.html

HTH

gp1200x
Level 2
Level 2

Found the answers....licenses are all based on the honor system for the 3850...not like the older 3750 and earlier models...eval and permanent licenses are changed with license commands. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card