Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving a 9500 VSL Pair.

AKDroid
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I am trying to move a 9500 VSL pair to a new location from its current location. I wanted help to see if I have the steps in order.

1. Take backup. 
  2. Make sure redundancy is good. Make sure all uplinks and downlinks are in HA both chassis. 
  3. Shutdown Standby. Disconnect all the cabling to standby.
  4. Move standby to the new location. 
  5. Connect the VSL links back to the ACTIVE (still at old location).
  6. Power on the standby.
  7. Verify redundancy and all the uplinks. 
  8. Make the recently moved standby the new ACTIVE. #redundancy force-switchover equivalent.
  9. Verify redundancy switch and all the uplinks.
  10. Power down the new standby which is in the old location. Move it to the new location. 
  11. Connect the VSL links and power on the new standby. 
  12. Verify that first moved 9500 is still active and the newly moved 9500 is standby.

Am I missing anything?  
Thank you for your help in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

After Step 7 - Hope your downlinks also connected and working, if not force switchover can network disaster.

Note : if the SVL running for Long, before you move i would do some test failing as in setup see all working, no surprices after moving to new Location.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

After Step 7 - Hope your downlinks also connected and working, if not force switchover can network disaster.

Note : if the SVL running for Long, before you move i would do some test failing as in setup see all working, no surprices after moving to new Location.

BB

Understood. Thank you for your reply.  Will verify redundancy + uplinks/downlinks at each step of move. 
SVL is up for 2 months only but will test that too. Force switchover on a full HA setup doesnt cause a disruption in service, correct? or at least it is not meant to. I mean the actual swap between ACTIVE and STANDBY on step 8.

that should not cause any issue, if the configuration and NSF / Stack-mac update and configured in best Practice.

#redundancy force-switchover equivalent (not seen this command)

reference as below :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9000/nb-06-cat-9k-stack-wp-cte-en.html

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card