Views
Helpful
Replies

MSTP Question

exabite1371
Level 1
Level 1

hello all

i have 2 questions please help me : thanks a lot ;)

1-while i want to run MSTP (maybe with VTP V3 or VTP V.2) must I config in all switches(Both Layer 2 and Layer 3) as i show in picture ?

i mean i should type commands:
spanning-tree mode mst
spanning-tree mst conf
revi ...
name ...
inst ....
in all Switches ?( i know with VTP V.3 only need to run spa-tree mode mst)but in ALL switches in my scenario?
NOTE: I run HSRP in SWITCHes(R1 and R3) and Link Aggregation between All Switches Layer 3

2-for access to (Router 6) with Cient C1(C1 that connect to SW4 in end of picture :in red square)which ip shoud be Set for Default Gateway ?

Define Gateway in SW4 by : ip Default Gateway or

int vlan ...(vlan that C1 in it:Switchport access)

ip address....

and use "interface  Vlan Address  for C1 gateway

OR

we should set ip of Router 5 (R5) for DG?

thanks a lot

piture address link:https://i.imgsafe.org/a06ebdf.png

2 Replies 2

exabite1371
Level 1
Level 1
why no one answer me!!!!

Hi,

why no one answer me!!!!

Getting annoyed is not going to make anyone answer your question faster - please remember this is a forum driven by people volunteering their time and knowledge for free, and if no one feels like answering your question then it may go unanswered for days.

1-while i want to run MSTP (maybe with VTP V3 or VTP V.2) must I config in all switches(Both Layer 2 and Layer 3) as i show in picture ?

This depends on where are the boundaries of your VLANs, or in other words, the boundaries of your switched and routed domains. The same MST configuration must be entered on all switches in the same switched domain. Your picture currently does not clearly show which switches are used for Layer2 switching and which are used for Layer3 switching/routing, so I cannot answer this question exactly. However, the rule is: All switches that constitute a particular switched domain in your network should be configured with the same MST settings.

2-for access to (Router 6) with Cient C1(C1 that connect to SW4 in end of picture :in red square)which ip shoud be Set for Default Gateway ?

If the access VLAN of C1 is terminated and routed on SW4 then the default gateway would be SW4, more precisely, the address of the SVI interface on SW4 for C1's access VLAN. If C1's VLAN is terminated on R4 then R4 would be the default gateway.

Best regards,
Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card