cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MTU on layer 2 interfaces?

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

I have two questions please , I have a server that uses 9000 mtu is connected to a layer 2 switch port (access vlan port) and the switch port is showing 1500mtu , how is it able to work with a mtu mismatch?

second question is that i have a layer 2 Huawei switch that i cant change the mtu on its port and i was told by their support that mtu cannot be changed on layer 2 ports , however i can change mtu on my layer 2 cisco switches? how is that so?  

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...I have two questions please , I have a server that uses 9000 mtu is connected to a layer 2 switch port (access vlan port) and the switch port is showing 1500mtu , how is it able to work with a mtu mismatch?
     If the packet's DF (don't fragment) bit is not set, the switch will fragment the packet and forward the fragments ; otherwise the switch     will drop the too large packet and send a notification to the source

>...second question is that i have a layer 2 Huawei switch that i cant change the mtu on its port and i was told by their support that mtu cannot be changed on layer 2 ports , however i can change mtu on my layer 2 cisco switches? how is that so?  
                  That could be a question for https://forum.huawei.com/enterprise/en/index

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

"If the packet's DF (don't fragment) bit is not set, the switch will fragment the packet and forward the fragments ; otherwise the switch     will drop the too large packet and send a notification to the source"

BTW, not at L2, as packet processing is L3.  Also, as described not at L3 either, as the too large is only done for egress.

What should happen, IMO, on a L2 interface that receives a frame larger than MTU, it should be discarded.  This will happen on a L2 interface that really cannot physically accept the frame, but if the interface can physically accept the frame, although configured with a smaller MTU, Cisco switches appear to accept them.

Why might Cisco do this?  I don't know but perhaps because it's maximum transmission unit, and Cisco doesn't see the need to enforce for reception.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is your 1st question using a Cisco switch?  If so, is that Cisco switch capable of jumbo Ethernet?  If so, a Cisco SE told me the switch's interface will usually accept jumbo frames but should not transmit them them on any interface where frame size bigger than interface's MTU.

To your second question, different hardware often has different features.

Even within Cisco switches, not all switches are jumbo capable, for those that are, some require all interfaces use a global setting, while others support per interface settings.  Also, as there's no jumbo standard, different switches (including with Cisco, I recall) might not support the same max MTU and/or limited on MTU size setting choices above 1500.  

I will answer first one, second I think you need to contact Huawei 

I have two questions please , I have a server that uses 9000 mtu is connected to a layer 2 switch port (access vlan port) and the switch port is showing 1500mtu , how is it able to work with a mtu mismatch?

if the Server send 9000 to SW that have port 1500 the frame will drop 
SW can not fragment the frame, only L3 device can fragment the packet 

MHM

@MHM Cisco World wrote:

I will answer first one, second I think you need to contact Huawei 

if the Server send 9000 to SW that have port 1500 the frame will drop 
SW can not fragment the frame, only L3 device can fragment the packet 

MHM

Are you sure of that on all Cisco switches?  I.e. switch with port set to 1500 cannot accept a 9000 byte frame, even if switch can support 9000 byte frames.

Totally sure' if server and clinet is in same subnet and port in sw is 1500 then if server send 9000 the traffic will drop by SW' this common in SW that why you need to match mtu in your network.

MHM

@MHM Cisco World wrote:

Totally sure' if server and clinet is in same subnet and port in sw is 1500 then if server send 9000 the traffic will drop by SW' this common in SW that why you need to match mtu in your network.

MHM

Logically, I completely agree.  (Also how I believe it ought to behave.)

Physically, that conflicts with what a Cisco SE told me, many years ago.  (Might have been possible true then, but not now, too.)  Don't recall why this question arose (then), possibly because I saw the behavior SE described (which I didn't expect).  Don't recall if I ever verified it, and I don't have a way to test it today.

Have you actually physically verified this on different Cisco switches that support jumbo Ethernet?  (Specifically host (jumbo) 9k => (interface 1500) switch (interface jumbo) =>  (jumbo) host; does host receive jumbo frame?)

Physically, it's certainly possible a switch's interface hardware (if physically capable of jumbo) could ignore a MTU setting for ingress.

As the SE described it, on a jumbo capable Cisco switch, a jumbo could be accepted on a 1500 MTU ingress, and be transmitted on another jumbo enabled port.

Of course, SE could have been wrong, or perhaps he had in mind something like baby giants, or my memory is faulty, or . . . 

in Troubleshoot MTU on Catalyst 9000 Series Switches, dated 5/12/23 (so not too old), we find:

Does MTU check happen Ingress or Egress?

Egress: MTU is the Maximum Transmission Unit, it is an Egress check, the decision to fragment or transmit as is or drop is decided for egress

• If the Port MTU is higher than the packet length to be routed out, Packet is sent as is
  • If the Packet is larger than the egress port MTU and if Egress port is
    • a Layer 3 port, packets is fragmented as per the MTU
    • a Layer 2 port, Packets are dropped. (Fragmentation is done only at Layer 3)

Note: If a packet has the DF (Don't Fragment) bit set in the IP header and Port MTU is less than the packet to be routed, Packet it is dropped

Ingress: MTU check is also done for packets which arrive at an interface 

• If an interface receives a packet over its configured MTU, these packets are treated as oversized packets and dropped. 

So, the forgoing does agree with what you describe (and my opinion how it ought to work).

Still, I wonder if that's always been the case (and accurate [IOS does change features - found a reference where on one Cisco switch, jumbo support went from global setting only, to also per port settings, with an IOS upgrade {9300 starting with 17.1.1}]).  The "years ago" I refer to, was when jumbo Ethernet was still a rather new technology and was only found on (at the time) the very latest gen of Cisco switches.

Again, even within the Cisco switches, there's a lot of "variety" when working with jumbo Ethernet frames, not only between switch series, but for chassis switches, specific line cards and/or supervisors.

For example, within Configure Jumbo/Giant Frame Support on Catalyst Switches, it's noted:

Catalyst Support for Maximum Frame Sizes

The ability of the various Catalyst switches to support various frame sizes depends on many factors that can include hardware and software. Notice that certain modules can support larger frame sizes than others, even within the same platform. Additionally, maximum frame size support can also change based on the software version you use.

So, again, perhaps the behavior I recall the SE described to me, then, was true then.

I will conclude with, all interfaces, within the same L2 domain, should support the same MTU, however as long as you don't send a too large frame to an interface that cannot handle it, you can mix different interface MTUs within the same L2 domain (not something I recommend).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card