Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Routing on cisco 3560 switch

sefimizra
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have cisco 3560X-24T-s with IP Base licence that need to route multicast packets between vlans and also other similar switches.

I wanted to know if I can preform the "ip pim dense-mode" command on its interfaces (interface vlan/interface gigabitethernet) and if it should work?

Thanks,

Sefi

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Sefi

no it wont work , you need ipservices , and I would advise not to use dens-mode but maybe sparse-dense mode instead (its less intense on resources)

Note The IP base image contains only PIM stub routing. The IP services image contains complete multicast routing. On a switch running the IP base image, if you try to configure a VLAN interface with PIM dense-mode, sparse-mode, or dense-sparse-mode, the configuration is not allowed.

Thanks a lot Mark.

What it's mean "pim stub routing" and what is the different from  "complete multicast routing"?

And also, in my IP Base license I can put the command "ip pim dense-mode" on interface gigabitethernetx/x. What the difference from interface vlan?

Hi

this is a good explanation of pim stub and short as well with diagram in this doc below

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/98289-pim-stub.html

And also, in my IP Base license I can put the command "ip pim dense-mode" on interface gigabitethernetx/x. What the difference from interface vlan?

Even though a command may be available in IOS it still may not be supported at license level , a gig is one interface (a lan could be connected to it)  while a vlan can be large amount of ports spread across multiple switches with multiple ports acting as one layer 2 broadcast domain , when your applying the likes of pim it needs to go on layer 3 interfaces pim traverse especially vlans if you have them setup

Enabling IPv4 PIM on Layer 3 Interfaces

You must enable PIM on the Layer 3 interfaces before IP multicast Layer 3 switching functions on those interfaces.

To enable IP PIM on a Layer 3 interface, perform this task:

Command
Purpose

Step 1 

Router(config)# interface {{vlan vlan_ID} | {type1  slot/port}}

Selects an interface to configure.

Step 2 

Router(config-if)# ip pim {dense-mode | sparse-mode | sparse-dense-mode}

Enables IP PIM on a Layer 3 interface.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card