Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast

Is it possible to form a pim neighbor with routers on different subnets? I have two routers but in between are two taclanes. So the routers are on different subnets but if they do not form that pim relationship, I am assuming my multicast traffic will not work. Is there a command that will allow for the two routers to form the neighbor relationship.

5 Replies 5

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

I don't understand your concern. If you activated on all interfaces pim sparse-mode, you will be able to get your multicast flow.
If you want to interconnect 2 domains you can use msdp.
Can you give more details please?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

so basically i have a router on one end which connects to a taclane that taclane in turn connects to another taclane at a different site which connects to a router. Both of those routers are on different subnets. So from my understanding tehy will not form a PIM neighbor with eachother which will cause multicast to fail. Is that correct

OK then try to interconnect both routers using mdsp.
Here you'll find some configuration example: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/multicast/configuration/guide/n7k_multic_cli_5x/msdp.html#pgfId-1054749

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

thanks I will look into msdp more and see if that will work.

OK if you need help let me know. I will need your config and quick drawing to make you the configuration sample

Thanks
Francesco
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card