cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple sg500x's in stack

bgleason
Level 1
Level 1

I have multiple sg500x switches in a stack, when I go to backup the config, I am only able to backup the config of the master. How can I target/define a different switch in the stack in order to backup that units startup-config, re. that units port configurations..

Thanks..

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When Stack means only 1 Master and rest of the members of the Stack.

All the configuration related stack members are stored in the Master switch only, When you take the config of that back is good enough.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @bgleason 

In a stack of Cisco SG500X switches, the stack is managed as a single logical unit. When you perform a configuration backup, you typically connect to the stack master to retrieve the configuration.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

bgleason
Level 1
Level 1

To Reply to both @balaji.bandi and M02@rt37, appreciate your time in replying.. When I backup the startup-config, it is only exporting the config of the master, I see no indication of the other switch/switches and the ports I have configured on those devices in the backed up startup-config.

As long as you have saved the config from running config to Startup that should be there.

Login to switch using SSH - show run (you should see all the port config) also check show startup config see that should be identical config.

BB

Hello @bgleason 

If you have properly saved the configuration from the running configuration to the startup configuration using the `copy running-config startup-config` command, the configurations for all switches in the stack, including individual port configurations, should indeed be present in the startup configuration.

When you log in to the switch and use the `show running-config` command, you should be able to see the configurations for all the ports.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

bgleason
Level 1
Level 1

It appears the startup-configs are unique to each unit in the stack, and when the units power on, they aggregate to the running-config. Backing up the running-config has all the details/configuration for the stack. so that is the config that I will be backing up, not the startup-config.

Suggestions :

1. If you using GUI, always save config to running to startup so there is no difference config

2. always backup running configuration that is one running live.

It appears the startup-configs are unique to each unit in the stack

how you checking this, - when this is part of the Stack - ( As I we mentioned repeatedly, MASTER switch own all the config) - Ignore what config on the member switch (i would not bother to look, since that config not valid - and not sure what config it going to be) - when the MASTER switch fails, respected member switch become MASTER, all the configuration will be available SLAVE (that is master now)

how are you viewing the member config ? (console ?)

how the process works explained here clearly :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-550x-series-stackable-managed-switches/smb5294-master-backup-on-the-sg550xg-and-sg350xg-switches.html

SMB Switches backup :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-small-business-200-series-smart-switches/smb2909-configuration-of-download-and-backup-configuration-settings.html

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card