Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Spanning Tree and Priority

We are in need of changing our CISCO 3850 environment from rapid-pvst to MST as we are replacing our Cisco 3850 Core Stack with a CISCO Meraki MS-355.  Meraki suggests we convert to MST.

I have a question on setting the priority for the instance. (FYI we have about 70 vlans, and I plan to create just one Instance and domain).

In rapid-pvst, you set the priority based of where the switch was in relationship to the Core.  example:

Switch C ---- connected to ----> Switch B ---- connected to ----> Switch A ---- connected to ---->Core Switch
Priority 12288                               Priority 8192                                 Priority 4096                               Priority 1

When you configure MST, do you set the priority of the instance in the same way?

Thanks for any help!

Tom Blackstone

3 Replies 3

Yes it same, the Core must be the root of STP domain.
friend ask Meraki  about if root will be in your network or them

Hello
You set in on the instance 
Example:
spanning-tree mst configuration

name STAN
revision 1
instance 0 vlan x,x-x 
spanning-tree mst 0 priority 0
spanning-tree mode mst

As for the migration, Please review this excellent post from CSC guru himself.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks for the information.  How would the priority be set on the switches connected to the CORE?

When I used RSTP, this is how I set the priorities on the switches attached to the CORE.  Is it the same with MST ?

Switch C ---- connected to ----> Switch B ---- connected to ----> Switch A ---- connected to ---->Core Switch
Priority 12288                               Priority 8192                                 Priority 4096                               Priority 1

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card