Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting managed switch to network managed by core switches

ASynowiec
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I try to configure Stratix 5700 switch to connect it as a branch to ring-configured network managed by Catalyst 3750 switches with multiple VLANs. When the GigE port mode on 5700 is set to ACCESS VLAN10, I can only see/ping devices in that VLAN, which makes sense. However, when I set port mode to TRUNK with access to all VLANs, I cannot ping any device connected to 5700 nor 5700 itself. On Stratix 8000, to which 5700 is connected, port role (Rockwell feature, see table below*) is set to Automation Switch with Native VLAN 40, but it does not work with no specialized role and Access VLAN 1. Management interface is VLAN1. Could Catalyst, to which no changes were applied (it already had VLAN10 configured), be the cause of problem?

Best regards,

Aleksander

*Roles on switch ports.

Apply this role to ports to be connected to other switches.

Apply this role to ports if you do not want to apply a specialized Smartports role on the port.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

check which spanning tree protocol you are running on the 3750 and on the Rockwells. Cisco by default uses PVST+. Also, on the Rockwell, if you configure a trunk, I think you have to specifically allow all VLANs (on the Physical Port page).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello,

check which spanning tree protocol you are running on the 3750 and on the Rockwells. Cisco by default uses PVST+. Also, on the Rockwell, if you configure a trunk, I think you have to specifically allow all VLANs (on the Physical Port page).

Hello @Georg Pauwen,

That took some time, but yes, it was the problem with different STPs, but it was MSTP on Stratix, and PVST on Cisco swtich. After changing MSTP to PVST+ everything worked just fine. Thanks for your help.

Good day.

I think I have the same problem when connecting a Stratix 5700 switch (which is connected and working with some others from the same series) with a Cisco Catalyst model. My question is this:

Should I configure the PVST+ on all the Stratix switches in the network or should I only do it on the one that makes the connection to the Catalyst?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card