cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VLAN Routing Tables

MPAdams2006
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm not entirely sure this is possible so after spending a week on it I thought I would ask.

I have a network with a Catalyst 3750 as the main switch and then some Catalyst 2960 switches that are plugged in to that. I have a server running windows server 2008 with a couple of virtual machines running in Hyper-V. I created 4 VLANS listed below and gave the 3750 the following IP Address.

VLAN 1: Default

VLAN 10: Audio, 192.168.0.254/24

VLAN 20: Video, 192.168.1.254/24

VLAN 30: Data, 192.168.3.254/24

VLAN 40: Management, 192.168.4.254/24

I managed to get everything on the correct VLAN but this has left me with 2 questions.

-I would like the 3750 to only be configurable from VLAN 40 but currently every VLAN can connect to it, I noticed in the standard web page settings there was a setting for "Management VLAN" but it was set to 1 and would not let me change it, I kinda assumed that was for the management port in the back.

-Now the tricky part, I was trying to set up routing between the VLANs and so far I have only been able to get a sort of "all or nothing" routing to work. I can turn IP routing on and add two or more VLANs to the routing and it works fine. But what I was hoping to do is create a couple of "junction vlans" that would only route to one or two other vlans. For instance, I wanted to create a VLAN 100 that routed to VLAN 20 and 30 but nothing else. I also want to route VLAN 1 just to VLAN 30, and so on. I am able to do each one of the cases but only one, it seems like the switch only supports one "routing table" am I missing something or is this just a limitation of the switch?

Thanks for any help you can provide, if this is a dead end hopefully someone can warn me. Thanks again.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you want to restrict traffic between vlans then you just use ACL's  applied to the vlan SVI's .

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you want to restrict traffic between vlans then you just use ACL's  applied to the vlan SVI's .

Thanks, that makes sense.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card